Dashboard Not Working...

Reaction score
Hey... I just got another macbook (pro this time) and my dashboard isn't working. When I hit F12 nothing happens... Anybody have any clues to what I need to do?
Thanks

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Hey... I just got another macbook (pro this time) and my dashboard isn't working. When I hit F12 nothing happens... Anybody have any clues to what I need to do?
Thanks

Scott
I'd first go to Preferences and then Dashboard and Exposé. In the lower half of the window are the keyboard shortcuts. See what's set for the Dashboard, namely F12. If it is set for F12, then you may have other problems.

Hope this helps!

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Yeah, already did that... it's set to F12. I have no clue what the deal is- it hasn't worked since I got the computer...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next suggestion is to scour Google. I did a search with:

dashboard not working os x

and found lots of things. One thing I found was this at a different forum:

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/332596/dashboard-not-working/

The suggestion to remove two plist files is something I'd personally try, BUT then I do lots of things with computers that I shouldn't do. (Rather than delete the files, you might drag them to your desktop, reboot your machine, and see if that works.)

In any case, you should look at options others have tried to see what makes sense to you.

Good luck!

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
math, appreciate the link, however when I went to library/preferences the two files they suggested weren't there....

com.apple.dashboard.plist and com.apple.dashboard.client.plist in /Library/Preferences/

I

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might try looking for the files in the Library directory in your account. You know, I didn't look at the one at /Library..., just the one in my home directory and found the ref'd files there:

/Users/grahamkg/Library...

(grahamkg is my account name.)

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
OK, I think the files are hidden, new to mac... how to unhide (I find it in spotlight but can't delete)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Geez I don't know. I never touched any preferences for making files visible or invisible

Best I can suggest is that since you've found the files through Spotlight, click on one and then do Command-I for information on the file. It will show the actual path for the file. If you go to the file via the Finder but can't see it, I don't know what else to suggest. (Well, I have some Unix types of things I could suggest, but they're typically very powerful and unrecoverable.)

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
math, I found them using spotlight... they were under user/library. Deleted, rebooted and dashboard is working fine. Thanks!

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES!!!!!!!! You're welcome! Glad I could help. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Pulse! ^_^

(Good lord, today marks just 4 months with this little jewel. Love to be able to help.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.