Damaged preference file in /bin/sh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), OS X 10.10 (14A389)
Today in Drive Genius 3, I ran the “Verify Preferences” function in Repair. It yielded this strange result:
/bin/sh: xargs: command not found
The only option Drive Genius gives is to remove the file, and it seems like I probably shouldn't remove a file in /bin!
Can somebody help me fix this problem and tell me what I should do? My specs are below. Thanks!
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
OS X Yosemite (10.10)
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Error was found using Drive Genius 3.2.4 running on a bootable USB drive​

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure what you ran from Drive Genius? Verify Preferences? Or did you mean that you ran Verify Permissions? And why are you running Drive Genius, is there a problem with your hard drive?

OP
jffffj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), OS X 10.10 (14A389)
Not sure what you ran from Drive Genius? Verify Preferences? Or did you mean that you ran Verify Permissions? And why are you running Drive Genius, is there a problem with your hard drive?

It was Verify Preferences (screenshot is attached). I ran Drive Genius because my computer has been running pretty slowly lately, and since my hard drive was just repartitioned (I removed a Windows Boot Camp partition), I wanted to make sure everything was okay with my drive. I ran a few tests with D.G. and defragged.

screenshot.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, just wanted to make sure. I don't have or use Drive Genius so wasn't aware that preferences could be verified. However, I'll offer this piece of old advice: If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. Leave that file alone since we don't know what it is or what if anything it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you use BootCamp Assistant to remove the partition?

Reaction score
You DO NOT want to remove this.

XARGS(1) BSD General Commands Manual XARGS(1)

NAME
xargs -- construct argument list(s) and execute utility

This is part of the BSD sub-system and is needed. It is not a preference file.
Think I would take whatever Drive Genius says with a grain of salt.

Edit: Actually, looking at the error message it seems the command is not there?
DG is using sh, a shell to do something and it "needs" xargs to do it. xargs should be in /usr/bin/.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.