Cursor Disappearing

Reaction score
Recently, my cursor started disappearing. This is an intermittent problem. I have tried ReStarts. I have tried Disk Utility Permission Verification.

What's wrong? RAM going bad?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Doesn't sound like a memory problem. It may be graphics related. I looked up your model MacBook Pro = 2010 model with a nvidia 320m graphics chipset. The graphics chip in your model MacBook Pro was problematic and prone to failure. I'm not sure there's anything you can do to test for it as the Apple Hardware Test may or may not flag it.

What you can try: Open the machine up and clean it out. Remove any dust from the fan and clear away any dust that may have built up around the air vents. Go to the ifixit web site for take apart instructions. www.ifixit.com

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

For cleaning purposes, do you recommend anything other than canned air?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reply!

For cleaning purposes, do you recommend anything other than canned air?

Canned air is what we recommend. Hopefully, cleaning it out will allow better cooling and give you some more life from your MacBook Pro.

OP
M
Reaction score
^Are you also saying that heat is causing the cursor issue? I haven't noticed that the cursor disappears under high heat conditions. I have noticed that having Word open (along with other apps, including streaming video) might be related to the cursor issue. Word runs very slowly on my machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Recently, my cursor started disappearing.
When I run certain Java applications this happens from time-to-time. Clicking out of the Java app results in the cursor re-appearing. Fortunately I don't use them for extended periods. Are you running Java apps?

OP
M
Reaction score
That depends. What's a Java app.?

I'm running Word, which seems to be poorly mated to the Mac platform in this case, and streaming real-time stock market quotes, and CNBC live-streaming video. Does any of this relate to Java app., or does it relate to nvidia 320m graphics chipset that chscag pointed to above (Post 2)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not think chscag was suggesting that at all. Just a good tip for a long life is all. Do you have any third party apps operating that would affect the cursor or anything set up in mouse/trackpad that could affect the cursor?

Office 2011 is rock steady and fast. Have you downloaded all the Office 2011 updates? Current version is 14.4.8.

OP
M
Reaction score
Microsoft Word v. 14.3.9.

Not running any third part apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Update Office you are several behind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.