CS6 Installation on Maverick

Reaction score
Hi All,

Let me first start by saying, I am a complete newbie to Mac. I was a hardcore PC guy that recently HAD IT with Microsoft and all the garbage that comes with it.

With that said, I'm trying to install CS6 on my new iMac and get the following error message not even 5 minutes in, "Installation has encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Now, I have also been given a MacBook Air at work, to test WiFi communications and I tried installing the same software package on that, and it installed without issue. I used the same exact disc I used when trying installation on my iMac.

I can only assume, that this may be a result of OS. However, reading some articles, it should work on my iMac.

I believe I have Maverick on my iMac. As for the MacBook...I honestly don't know, nor do I know how to find that information.

As I said earlier, I am new to the Mac world...and still learning how to navigate the OS.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
IG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I can't help you other than it installed fine on my MBP under Mavericks.

Reaction score
I believe I have Maverick on my iMac. As for the MacBook...I honestly don't know, nor do I know how to find that information.

Click on the apple in the menubar, select "About this Mac".
Also would help to know what model iMac.

OP
I
Reaction score
iMac Info

Hi cradom,

iMac info:
27-inch iMac
With the following configuration:
• 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
• 3TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

MacBook Air info:
OS X Version 10.8.5
Processor 1.8 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3

Thanks,
IG

M

MacInWin

When you installed it on that other machine, did you activate it? If so, the error could be that now you are trying install a SECOND copy, which is not allowed by the license. If it is calling the Adobe mothership for authority to proceed, that could be the problem. You can only have ONE active installation at a time.

OP
I
Reaction score
Installing

Hi Jake,

I first tried installation on the iMac, which is the device I'm having a problem with. Also, I did not activate it on the MacBook as I plan on uninstalling it on there.

When trying to install on the iMac, I don't get 5 mins in...I get the error almost immediately. As I said earlier, that did not happen on the MacBook.

Thanks,
IG

M

MacInWin

I would do the un-install on the MacBook, then try again on the iMac. I still think the mothership is blocking the install.

C

chas_m

You never did say what OS version the iMac was, but I doubt it matters. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that its the OS when it successfully installed on another machine using the same OS.

Sounds to me like the optical drive in the iMac could use a few shots of compressed air to me. At worst, an external DVD drive maybe.

OP
I
Reaction score
@macinwin

I did as you suggested...same result.

@chas_m

The iMac OSX 10.9.5
I used the same external optical drive that I ran the install on the iMac, for the MacBook. I wanted to create the same conditions, so I could eliminate the disc and or any hardware from my troubleshooting steps. The only difference is, the devices I'm installing to. One device is a iMac (BRAND NEW) and the other is MacBook (not sure how old it is, but it's been in my possession for over a year).

Thanks,
IG

M

MacInWin

Stumps me. Not the drive (the same drive), nor the disk (same disk) and it's not a older version of OSX (brand new iMac), so it SHOULD install. About all I can offer is to get a can of air and give the drive a short blast to get rid of any dust that MAY have moved over the lenses. But that is a loooooong shot.

OP
I
Reaction score
OK....I really appreciate all the advice....I guess it's Photoshop CC for me, then.

Thanks everyone!

IG

C

chas_m

Very strange. I know for a fact that it can install on Mavericks normally. Sorry we couldn't track it down for you. I think you'll like CC ... it's really good (and pretty cheap). If you only need Photoshop, sign up for the Photoshop and Lightroom "Photographer's Bundle" -- $10 per month!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.