Create text group with iPhone 7

Reaction score
Am attempting to create a text group of club members, some using iOs and some using Android. Is it possible, and if so, how? Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This video probably covers a somewhat newer version of IOS than is on the iPhone 7 but I think the process was the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
What about a WhatsApp group.

OP
P
Reaction score
The video link attached by Slydude worked great for iOs users, but I am also a member of a group who some are Android users. Any ideas how to create a group text for a mixture of iOS and Android users?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IIRC works the same way. Add the additional members in the same way that you would if they were IOS users. I think that you will also need to check and make sure SMS messaging is turned on.

I don't send group texts often but I am pretty sure that's how it's done. If that doesn't work post back and let us know.

OP
P
Reaction score
The procedure worked for iOS, but didn't work when Android addresses were included.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This might help. I'm having trouble finding something shorter that isn't outdated.

OP
P
Reaction score
I viewed that. He is using a separate app. Might work, but I thought it would be doable with iPhone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I missed that. I know I have sent texts to mixed groups without a separate app. I'll keep digging to see if I can figure out what's borking things up for you. I suspect it's something simple.

OP
P
Reaction score
After my fiasco with the Messages app yesterday, I suspect it very well may be something simple! :giggle::thinking

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Based on something I have read in the last few minutes the following seems to be important. Is the problem that you can't send messages to a mixed group at all or is the problem that you can't add/remove users from the group?

OP
P
Reaction score
After yesterday's issue, my iMac is functioning normally. This subject is my iPhone. I am part of an RV group that some members use Android while others of us use iPhones.

My objective was to create a text group to send messages to all of the members. I was able to do that for the iPhone users, and another for the Android users, but my goal was to combine the two into one text.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How many people are in the group (total number in both groups)? I seem to remember seeing something that left the impression that the limit for a group message is 25 users.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anything on this page help at all? It includes a tip that says you may need to contact your carrier to see if they support MMS messaging.

BTW, if I understand what I have read correctly, once you create a mixed group you have to start a new conversation to add new members to the group. Some of the third-party apps do not have that hiccup. I have used an app called GroupMe that doesn't have this limit. I know it exists for IOS and Android.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Understand. I read it as sending MMS group messages, SMS group messages and iMessage group messages. My goal is to "create" a group message with both SMS and MMS users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you adding the contact by name or phone number? Try adding them to the group by their Contact Phone number instead of their Contact name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Make sure that on the iPhone, under Settings/Messages that the "Send as SMS" is ON, as well as MMS Messaging and Group Messaging. That seemed to work for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.