create bootable thumb drive from pc

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For the record, removing the hard drive from a pre-unibody MBP is a time-intensive, warranty-voiding, BIG job. It's not something someone "good with a screwdriver" knocks out in 20 minutes. If someone did remove the hard drive, they would have been silly to put it all back together without one.

I've done it in less than ten. It's a little more complicated than your average notebook, but if you're handy, it's not a big deal.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would hardly call removing 15 screws a BIG job. I must be in the wrong line of work. But the hard drive was removed to try and recover data from it. If removing the hard drive does indeed void any warranty, am I safe in assuming I'm wasting my time even if it is a faulty gpu?

They would definitely have solid ground in denying your warranty. But since the issue is specific to the GPU and there is a very well known and well-publicized GPU issue with the machine, I don't think it would hurt to ask.

I would schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar and just lay it out. Worst they can do is say "sorry, can't help you".

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I will see what they say and report back sometime hopefully soon. I'm not sure if the lci stickers were being used yet when my mbp was built so I may get lucky on that one. Either way I'll post back. Thanks again!

Wes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.