Crazy Desktops

Reaction score
I've noticed on quite a few Mac sites people post screenshots of their desktop. It seems that they are customized in every way imaginable. Is there a utility that does this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
ShapeShifter, CandyBar

those are the two main one's used

F

flonejek

btw I never used them but I got them for my sister and she reckons their fully sick (I had my share of customization with linux, lol). Their worth the investment, the softwares pretty high quality even if it does mess with system files it does it cleanly and I have yet to have any issues. I've only paid for shapeshifter, I'm not sure if candybar is worth it yet.

M

meehmac

flonejek said:
btw I never used them but I got them for my sister and she reckons their fully sick (I had my share of customization with linux, lol). Their worth the investment, the softwares pretty high quality even if it does mess with system files it does it cleanly and I have yet to have any issues. I've only paid for shapeshifter, I'm not sure if candybar is worth it yet.

Does Shapeshifter or Candybar take up lots of video/memory resources? I only have a 1.2Ghz/768MB iBook... But would like to spice up my interface!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I use Shapeshifter, Pixadex (advanced CandyBar basically) and ClearDock (by Unsanity) to alter my desktop. I haven't noticed any large amounts of resources being used by any of them.

N

nbn22385

They shouldnt use any extra resources because they are essentially replacing system files (after backing them up, of course). Technically, some of the more advanced themes have more complex images, but the performance change is negligible. I use Candybar, Shapeshifter, and ClearDock too. They are not like 3rd party programs running in the background, they make the change to your system, then you close them.

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
Are these free programs, or do you have to purchase them somewhere? Sorry for all the Newbish questions. This stuff is still new to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Here is mine (posted in another thread) using the Paper & Plastik theme w/ Shapeshifter, Clear Dock (look it's clear) and various icons using Pixadex to change and manage icons easy.

Think Different

Reaction score
rberry88 said:
Here is mine (posted in another thread) using the Paper & Plastik theme w/ Shapeshifter, Clear Dock (look it's clear) and various icons using Pixadex to change and manage icons easy.

Think Different
I love that think different picture\, can you share that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, pretty much the three (Shapeshifter, Candy Bar, and Cleardock) that have been mentioned are really the main ones. If you just want to change icons, you can do this:

1. Copy whatever you want to use as an icon
2. Command Click on the Folder/Icon u want to change
3. Click "Get Info"
4. Click on the "little" picture of the icon right next to the title of whatever it is pointing to
5. Hit command v to paste the new icon in it's place

Hope that helps!

iNap, nice icon btw. I havn't watched Star Trek in years, but I still remember the Klingon symbol.

11:11

yea ive seen all these themes and they look awsome, but i dont really want to put out 20 dollars to make my desktop awsome, but man they are really cool, i think maybe if i get some money ill purchase unsanitary shapeshifter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.