Crash or not?

Reaction score
All of a sudden my Mac screen went into a lot of tiny teeny little pictures. I tried to reboot and the same little pictures came up, the start up bar started across the screen but then completely stopped about two-thirds of the way across. I have tried all the different ways to restart in different combinations of option-command rb etc and nothing changes. I need help

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Mac? Not enough information for us to go on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. As Ashwin says, we need a lot more information. In addition to the "What Mac" question, can you add what exactly you have already tried? "I have tried all the different ways to restart in different combinations of option-command rb etc and nothing changes" is a bit vague.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All of a sudden my Mac screen went into a lot of tiny teeny little pictures. I tried to reboot and the same little pictures came up, the start up bar started across the screen but then completely stopped about two-thirds of the way across. I have tried all the different ways to restart in different combinations of option-command rb etc and nothing changes. I need help

First, Welcome to our forums.

We really need more info as the previous replies indicated.

But, from your brief description you could be dealing with a graphics problem. That can mean failing graphics or something that is affecting the graphics.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have an older iMac purchased in 2011 21.5 inch screen. I don't have the most current update OS system, probably about 3 updates behind. Can't remember which one I have but I know I don't have Catalina and the real new one. Can't start up the computer I can't remember what OS. I think I was watching YouTube when it happened. What else might you need. Haven't added any new software lately but I do updates regularly except for the OS system. I have Excel and Word and didn't want to take the chance of losing them especially since you have to pay now so that's why I didn't keep updating the OS

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That machine is 10 years old and was at most running High Sierra, which is a number of versions behind. Not updating the OS is a bad habit to get into, but anyway.

Looks like the machine's graphics card must have failed. The rub is that with these machines, fixing that means replacing the logicboard which will run you a LOT of money.

So it might be time to think about upgrading to a newer Mac.

Hopefully you've been keeping up to date backups of your data along the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.