CPU throttling, Macbook, 10.4.9

Reaction score
Hi all:

I was just wondering what was the "policy" for cpu throttling in MacOS. In ubuntu, on my macbook, the cpu throttles down at 1.0GHz when idle. (I have a Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz). It pops up to 1.83 whenever I do something semi intensive, and drops right back down to 1.0GHz when idle.

In MacOS, I see 1.83GHz most of the time, sometimes 1.5GHz, but I don't think I have ever seen it lower than 1.5

Is this normal behaviour? I mean, no wonder the thing runs hot if the processor is at full speed even when idle. Even on battery, it does not drop below 1.5GHz...

(For the record, I'm a windows/linux user, but just recently bought a macbook, cause I like the size for traveling, etc). I am not 100% familiar with the OS yet, so I may be missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
hmm...make sure ur quitting your programs...closing the window doesnt actually do much in mac os x, u have to press  Q to thuroughly quit an app...a common mistake for windows users

OP
P
Reaction score
Yep, I've been doing just that, but still no luck. Either the program I am using to monitor the speed of the cpu is wrong (CoreDuoTemp) or the CPU doesn't throttle as well in MacOS as it does in Ubuntu.

I did rip the thing apart (bye bye warranty) and apply Arctic Silver 5. There has been a drastic drop of 10 degrees C in my idle temps. Not hard to believe seeing how much gunk they had put at the factory!

Thanks for your reply. Can anyone recommend another program to monitor the Core speeds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
how about istat pro?
its a widget, u can find on apples website

OP
P
Reaction score
I sound like a smart***** but this is what I am using now that I have doubts about coreduotemp. But it does not give me the current speed of the processor (from what I can see), only the cpu load.

Again, thanks for your help!

OP
P
Reaction score
Actually, I googled a bit and found a program called CoolBook. It monitors the processor speeds (free) as well as allowing undervolting the processor (only for registered users).

Seems like the processor runs at 1GHz after all. Note sure what CoreDuo temp does, but this CoolBook program seems more in line with what Ubuntu was reporting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ive never trusted coreduotemp's readout of cpu speed.

seems odd that it rarely clocks down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
anyone actually bought the 10$ coolbook full prog? curious

OP
P
Reaction score
I did... I had a few $$ sitting in my paypal account. Works great. It's odd how I don't mind paying 10$ for small utilities like that, but you'll never see me buying uber expensive software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo
Are there any adverse effects from using this program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
does changing the power saving settings to "better battery life" throttle down the processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo
does changing the power saving settings to "better battery life" throttle down the processor?

I guess it would? I dunno.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.