Covid-19 lockdown RSI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
After eight months of full and semi lockdown the UK, with the obliteration of my social life, my hands are hurting with so much keyboard usage. Trying to rest them and doing exercises for repetitive strain injury but wondering if anyone else is enduring the same. Trying to keep abreast of the US election isn't helping!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is a real issue for me since I type all day long for my work and when I started off in my career, I had pretty bad posture and would end up having my wrists hurt quite a lot.

Since then, I've adopted a better posture and ensure that's eliminated any potential issues. The obvious advice of taking breaks is also very important.

Rest is very important since this is a inflammation and not allowing it to subside puts you into a loop where the inflammation ends up becoming recurring requiring surgery to heal.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's a problem with good or touch typists. Less of a problem for those like me who rely on one finger to type:laugh ;) :)

Oh, plus the left index finger hovering in expectation above the upper case key.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iu

@IWT - That isn't you, is it? :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe not, but it could easily be me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
After eight months of full and semi lockdown the UK, with the obliteration of my social life, my hands are hurting with so much keyboard usage. Trying to rest them and doing exercises for repetitive strain injury but wondering if anyone else is enduring the same. Trying to keep abreast of the US election isn't helping!
Try using a stand to hold the keyboard at a slight angle up. Lying flat puts stress on the wrists. Remember the keyboard on the original typewriters was slanted up and you have the idea.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
iu

@IWT - That isn't you, is it? :)

Pretty close, I must say. Thing is: he's a lot faster than I am. I need to practise to get up to his speed.

Whilst others get repetitive strain injury in their hands; for me, like that guy, it's in the neck:smile

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Jake is right. I touch type and with the flat wireless keyboard (magic keyboard) that is supplied with newer Macs, it puts a strain on ones wrists. I've already had surgery done on my left hand (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) some years ago. So far my right hand is okay, but nowadays I do much less typing.

OP
badshoehabit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Try using a stand to hold the keyboard at a slight angle up. Lying flat puts stress on the wrists. Remember the keyboard on the original typewriters was slanted up and you have the idea.
Normally MBP is on my knee or the arm of a chair. But it's using phone and tablet (iPad mini, read in bed) a lot more too, where you grip the thing itself. Thought I was developing arthritis but suddenly realised what it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thought I was developing arthritis

Anyone using the built-in Mac OS dictation successfully and maybe help save some of the wear and tear on the wrists and fingers???

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Carpal Tunnel in my left hand was so bad that I would lose feelings in my hand and about half way up to my elbow. After surgery it took a full year before natural feelings returned to my finger tips.

Fortunately the surgery was quick with no hospital stay. No hospital stay was good because my health insurance paid for everything including doctor's visits and anesthesia.

By the way, I have a pair of those gloves but not the same brand as you show.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
I like the clip as well Ashwin but his speed is at least twice mine because I have yet to progress to two handed one finger typing --- much too advanced!!! On top of that apart from normal daily tasks my left hand is all but useless, strictly a right handed man this way.

Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My wife suffers from repetitive stress, which makes it painful for her to use the computer. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a choice.

Here are a couple of products that help her immensely:
And, for the finger joints, I use 3M's Coban tape. It has the effect of resting the joint while I'm using it because of the support it provides. I wear a wrist brace, but only at night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, for the finger joints, I use 3M's Coban tape. It has the effect of resting the joint while I'm using it because of the support it provides. I wear a wrist brace, but only at night.

I'm curious as I have psoriasis rheumatoid arthritis in my hands that is progressively getting worse, even though I have been taking medication to counteract it. It doesn't seem to be helping.

Do you wrap each individual joint and does that not have the effect of immobilizing them???

Can you still use your hands and fingers while they are so wrapped???

Thanks for any info.

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very sorry to hear that Patrick. My heart goes out to you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
@pm-r
My affliction is osteoarthritis, but I imagine the tape would help yours, because it's a "mechanical" remedy. You can buy one roll for very low cost online, or 1 pack of 5 rolls, and try it. I buy 6 packs of 5 rolls at a time; just got some delivered this week.

I use the 1" wide "wrap" as they call it. Yes, you wrap the individual joints. I've only used it on the "tip" of my fingers, never on the knuckle, but I think you could wrap both on the same finger. I doubt that the 2" wide tape would cover both joints. But I think you wouldn't want to do that because you want the wrap on one to be independent of the other. It is not real rigid, but just enough to provide support and "rest" for the joint. I wrap over the top first, then overlap that so it is double thick on top.

The tape will bend with the joint, and by the end of a day, the 1" has scrunched down to 1/2" or less on the bent side, still about the full 1" on top. Getting it wet when you wash your hands seems to have the effect of making the tape stick to itself even more. Of course, until it drys, touching paper or any absorbent material will cause that to become wet also.

I have no problem using the hand or the fingers with the tape on. Without it, hitting a key with the little finger is painful. With the tape, I can type without pain at all. Of course, how effective it is will depend on how much pain is there already. But, I do believe that by resting the joint, it delays progression of the arthritis.

If you decide to try it, let me know if you like it or not. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O.T. ...
@toMACsh
If you decide to try it, let me know if you like it or not. ;)

toMACsh, thanks for the info, and I just might give it a try.

I had never heard of the 3M Coban tape before.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm curious as I have psoriasis rheumatoid arthritis in my hands that is progressively getting worse, even though I have been taking medication to counteract it. It doesn't seem to be helping.

How about those special gloves that are sold which supposedly provide relief from arthritis? Have you tried them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.