"Cover Your Tracks" site. Here is Brave's results

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just so I dont forget it and for the interest of our members, here is the Electronic Frontier Foundation's (EFF) page to test your browser. In particular for "fingerprinting"; Cover Your Tracks
I ran this on Brave browser on my MBP, here are my results;

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.05.23.png

If you are a Firefox or Safari user give it a try and you will see the difference. I checked on Safari, (I don't have Firefox) and below is the result, note the red line under Fingerprinting.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.09.32.png

The page then goes on to describe in detail the meaning of the results.
In reference to another thread, I tested Arc Browser and it gets the same results as Brave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Rod, interesting, I have (and use) Safari, I also have (but have stopped using) Firefox:

Safari:
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 08.49.36.png

Firefox:
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 08.51.02.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Okay; here's mine on Safari:

S1.jpeg

Not sure how I got such good results, but there we are :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
This is what Safari says for me:

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 6.08.00 AM.png

Reaction score
Just so I dont forget it and for the interest of our members, here is the Electronic Frontier Foundation's (EFF) page to test your browser. In particular for "fingerprinting"; Cover Your Tracks

In addition to Cover Your Tracks, folks may want to test their browser(s) using:

Browser Audit
https://browseraudit.com

And they also may want to check how their browser stacks up here:

Restore Privacy's ranking of browser's security:
https://restoreprivacy.com/browser/secure/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I had something similar. My first thought re you: was 404 Passed seems pretty good and only 27 "Warnings" - I had something similar and looked at those and, to be honest, I think they were of little or no relevance for me.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The pont I was focussing on here was the fingerprinting, Brave's results say, "Your browser fingerprint has been randomized among the 184,858 tested in the past 45 days. Although sophisticated adversaries may still able to track you to some extent, randomization provides a very strong protection against tracking companies trying to fingerprint your browser." According to my test results even Brave conveys 17.5 bits of information in the form of Web Headers such as; "your device’s timezone, language, privacy settings, and cookies. Web headers are transmitted by your browser with every site visit."
So nothing is perfect but Brave is better than many.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Browser Audit is a little more comprehensive, these are my results on Brave.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 09.06.56.png

The Restore Privacy site is also interesting. It would seem to confirm that Brave is still top of the list if for no other reason than it's sheer simplicity out of the box. "One of the reasons we like Brave is because it offers simple, out-of-the-box privacy by default."

Lastly the article kinda confirms my opinion that the combination of a secure browser and good VPN is worthwhile, "When using “private” or “incognito” browsing mode in your browser, your real IP address and location are still being revealed to every website, ad, and tracker that loads in your browser. Additionally, all your activities remain visible to your internet service provider (ISP). And at least here in the United States, ISPs log everything you do online and share the data with many other parties. This is why it’s critical to use a good VPN for basic digital privacy.

The best way to achieve true privacy while hiding your real IP address and online activities is to use a secure browser together with a good VPN. This protects you at both ends of the line, and in the middle too.

The secure browser will protect you as described in this article, while the VPN will protect your identity by hiding your real IP address and location. The VPN will also encrypt your traffic so your ISP (and any other snoops out there) cannot see your activities online."

I rest my case.😊

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.