• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Countdown to WWDC

N

Nightblade

Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference is only one week from today! Let's have a countdown...For example, besides counting down to the WWDC, we'll post things we're looking forward to seeing at the conference, stuff we'd like to see, etc.

10.4 sounds cool. And as far as software...How about Appleworks 7? Appleworks 6 came out like over four years ago, and as of yet the newest version is 6.2.9! I mean, it's not a terrific program anyway, but still....

An update to iChat would be nice, and Safari 2? That I'd like to see. It could contain a scrapbook (like Explorer); more default bookmarks, a customizable search bar (instad of just Google); a chance to edit a webpage in Word, Dreamweaver, Appleworks, etc.;

As for the update to iChat, it should contain the ability to transfer applications instead of just files, improved alerts, more audible sounds, etc. It also should have the ability to record message convos. Wait, does it already have that ability? Well, in that case, it should have the ability to record video and audio convos.

And in 10.4 I'd like the ability to close minimized windows from the dock by ctrl-clicking (or right-clicking for those that have a two-buttoned mouse), like in Windows. I'd also like more customizable themes, a Hibernate function (like in XP), the ability to completely hide the dock so that it doesn't pop up when you move the pointer to the bottom of the screen (I realize that's a stupid idea, but still....)

And Quicktime 7, perhaps.

7 days to go...

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
iPods and maybe something on AirPort extreme... Quicktime 7, and you can send apps in iChat, I have. You should be able to audio chat with Windows users in iChat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I'd kill for a remake of iPhoto. Imbedded albums via folder, iTunes style searching, *sigh*. One can only hope.

OP
N

Nightblade

JUST TWO DAYS AWAY!!!!

---It's also only two days away until the Canadian federal election.....

Anyway, I've got some more suggestions for 10.4.

One, it should be more user-friendly. That is, there should be a Mac OS X Tour, just like there's a Windows XP Tour. It's a built-in feature of the operating system, and it does not require the internet. I haven't personally used it, but it sounds like a good idea. Apple could consider doing the same.

Two, you should be able to see EVERY piece of hardware plugged into the computer (and every spec about the hardware, including the company who made it) from the System Profiler, like you can on XP. Seriously, System Profiler needs an update.

Three, Apple should take on Media Center. They should develop their own media-viewing program similar to Media Center, but for OS X. I think a lot of people would buy it, considering the majority of people who buy Macs tend to have quite a bit of money anyway. Macs are known as the kings of media, and if they had a program that had all the features of Media Center, they truly could be!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
(1:01:06 PM): "Please be seated."
(1:01:30 PM): Usual hippie music playing...
(1:02:39 PM): Steve is on stage.
(1:02:57 PM): "Welcome. We have over 3,500 registered developers here. That's almosts 17% more than last year."
(1:06:35 PM): Steve: Talking about iTunes and iPods. Says a lot of people want to listen to music in their living room. Reviews what AirPort Express and AirTunes is all about.
(1:07:30 PM): Talks about the simplicity of the integration of AirTunes into iTunes and how easy it is to pick a stereo to play through with AirPort Express.
(1:08:15 PM): "Last week, we introduced our first big breakthrough interfacing iPods and cars."
(1:08:28 PM): Talks about BMW's "iPod your BMW" campaign.
(1:09:50 PM): Shows a video about iPod/Living Room/Car integration.
(1:13:17 PM): "Now, we would like to talk about Power Macs."
(1:13:24 PM): Reviews recent releases.
(1:15:46 PM): Mentions the 1.25 GHz FSB.
(1:15:54 PM): Now addressing the 3 GHz promise.
(1:16:21 PM): "Because of the shift from 130nm to 90nm, the whole industry hit a wall and was a lot harder that originally thought.
(1:16:38 PM): "So the speed increases have been relatively small compared to the previous experience."
(1:17:11 PM): IBM is still doing well in this industry, just less than previously thought.
(1:17:30 PM): IBM has seen a 25% increase. Intel has only seen 12% over the same time period.
(1:18:04 PM): Apple Store US is down.
(1:18:27 PM): "Now we're talking about displays. We have the best displays. Our competitors buy the panels we reject."
(1:18:35 PM): "Today, a completely new version of the 23" display."
(1:18:52 PM): Shows it off. It has an aluminum enclosure, one piece aluminum stand, small bevel.
(1:19:01 PM): One cable comes out of the monitor, but splits off.
(1:19:33 PM): Much applause.
(1:21:06 PM): "And now, the largest display ever. 30 inches. 4.1 million pixels, with the same one-piece aluminum enclosure. It features FireWire and USB."
(1:22:56 PM): It only works with the Power Mac G5 and a new graphics card. Existing cards could not drive it. It needs two DVI connections in parallel.
(1:22:56 PM): It only works with the Power Mac G5 and a new graphics card. Existing cards could not drive it. It needs two DVI connections in parallel.
(1:23:02 PM): The new card costs $599.
(1:23:37 PM): All displays share the one cable out which provides DVI, FireWire, and USB.
(1:24:10 PM): More applause.
(1:26:06 PM): "Now, on to Mac OS X. 12 million people are using Mac OS X, about 1/2 of our installed base. There are now 12,000 native apps."
(1:28:37 PM): Mentions a few applications like Microsoft Office 2004. "It's better than the Windows version. I ran into Bill Gates a few weeks ago and his company feels that their relationship with Apple is better than ever."
(1:28:58 PM): Going over Adobe, Oracle, etc.
(1:29:11 PM): Welcomes the general manager of Alias to talk about new developments with Alias.
(1:29:35 PM): 25% of Alias' worldwide sales are now on the Mac.
(1:30:32 PM): Announces that the long-awaited Maya Unlimited for OS X is coming.
(1:31:25 PM): It's coming later this summer. Alias has a commitment to continue to support the Mac.
(1:35:23 PM): Steve is now discussing more third-party developers.
(1:38:57 PM): Demos Myst Revelations, and Orbit (satellite simulator).
(1:41:09 PM): "Starting today, our focus is on Tiger. It will ship in the first half of 2005."
(1:42:14 PM): "With Panther, we leapt ahead of the competition. We think Tiger will catapult us even further ahead. There's over 150 new features, some are just groundbreaking."
(1:42:44 PM): Just a few features: 64-bit Unix.
(1:43:27 PM): Much applause.
(1:46:28 PM): There's also better SMB support. But the most revolutionary feature is simple: searching.
(1:46:57 PM): "We have too many folders now on our hard disk. How do we solve it? We've already solved it. In iTunes, you can find a song by title, artist, album, etc."
(1:47:54 PM): "Now, it applies to the entire system. It's 'Spotlight' search technology. You can ask it stuff like 'find my keynote presentation by Phil which I opened last week.'"
(1:49:46 PM): Demos Spotlight.
(1:53:53 PM): "Spotlight is searchable in Mail, Address Book, etc."
(1:54:32 PM): "System Preferences - we removed the bar at the top and now uses Spotlight technology. It's an example of helping people find stuff in an existing app."
(1:55:13 PM): "Spotlight is system-wide. In the upper right hand corner is a magnifying glass button. Click it - I get a search field. I get a popdown list of all sorts of things like images, mail, contacts..."
(1:55:39 PM): We have full-context indexing like in PDFs.
(1:56:11 PM): (Yes, we have a fully metadata-driven OS.)
(1:58:23 PM): "Now next-generation MPEG-4: h264. It's scalable, and Apple is adopting it. It's been adopted for high-definition DVD, and it's part of QuickTime in Tiger."
(1:58:31 PM): Introduces Frank Cassanova to demo.
(2:00:34 PM): Frank: "The efficiency of the codec is absolutely incredible."
(2:02:14 PM): "Now: Safari. We're going to take it a step further. RSS."
(2:03:10 PM): "You get all this data from sites and format it how you want. There's a list of sites that offer RSS sites."
(2:03:45 PM): "Wouldn't it be great to aggregate RSS feed and search through them for things you want?"
(2:03:53 PM): Demos Safari's RSS reader.
(2:07:23 PM): There's a new search field in Safari for RSS feeds. Shows a search in Google, but says there's a delay by days. Instead, one can search through RSS feeds and get the results together.
(2:08:03 PM): i.e. Google's spider updates search results every few days. But RSS feeds are instant.
(2:10:09 PM): New technologies: Core Image and Core Video. Does processing in the graphics card and not in the CPU. It's all done with floating point precision.
(2:11:24 PM): Has real-time filters, over 100 professional quality ones. Just like Audio Units, you can extend with image and video units to do whatever you want.
(2:11:28 PM): It's very similar to the way Audio Units/Core Audio works. It's available to any developer to write any apps they want.
(2:11:54 PM): Demos Core Image/Core Video
(2:25:17 PM): Dashboard: Address Book, Calculator, etc. Hit one button to pull them all up. "Expose for widgets." Showing iTunes controller, etc. Next: .Mac. Over 1/2 million subscribers. Building a sync engine right into Tiger. Also using for .Mac syncing throughout Tiger. New .Mac preference panel to turn things on and off in once place. Good for those with more than one Mac. Sync addresses, screensavers, etc... across computers.
(2:31:34 PM): Steve shows an example of getting invites from a website, then adding them to your iPhoto library, then making an iDVD slideshow from them. Very easy to use.
(2:34:27 PM): "Automater will provide even those who don't have any experience programming to make their own scripts."

OP
N

Nightblade

hype.it said:
(1:01:06 PM): "Please be seated."
(1:01:30 PM): Usual hippie music playing...
(1:02:39 PM): Steve is on stage.
(1:02:57 PM): "Welcome. We have over 3,500 registered developers here. That's almosts 17% more than last year."
(1:06:35 PM): Steve: Talking about iTunes and iPods. Says a lot of people want to listen to music in their living room. Reviews what AirPort Express and AirTunes is all about.
(1:07:30 PM): Talks about the simplicity of the integration of AirTunes into iTunes and how easy it is to pick a stereo to play through with AirPort Express.
(1:08:15 PM): "Last week, we introduced our first big breakthrough interfacing iPods and cars."
(1:08:28 PM): Talks about BMW's "iPod your BMW" campaign.
(1:09:50 PM): Shows a video about iPod/Living Room/Car integration.
(1:13:17 PM): "Now, we would like to talk about Power Macs."
(1:13:24 PM): Reviews recent releases.
(1:15:46 PM): Mentions the 1.25 GHz FSB.
(1:15:54 PM): Now addressing the 3 GHz promise.
(1:16:21 PM): "Because of the shift from 130nm to 90nm, the whole industry hit a wall and was a lot harder that originally thought.
(1:16:38 PM): "So the speed increases have been relatively small compared to the previous experience."
(1:17:11 PM): IBM is still doing well in this industry, just less than previously thought.
(1:17:30 PM): IBM has seen a 25% increase. Intel has only seen 12% over the same time period.
(1:18:04 PM): Apple Store US is down.
(1:18:27 PM): "Now we're talking about displays. We have the best displays. Our competitors buy the panels we reject."
(1:18:35 PM): "Today, a completely new version of the 23" display."
(1:18:52 PM): Shows it off. It has an aluminum enclosure, one piece aluminum stand, small bevel.
(1:19:01 PM): One cable comes out of the monitor, but splits off.
(1:19:33 PM): Much applause.
(1:21:06 PM): "And now, the largest display ever. 30 inches. 4.1 million pixels, with the same one-piece aluminum enclosure. It features FireWire and USB."
(1:23:02 PM): The new card costs $599.
(1:23:37 PM): All displays share the one cable out which provides DVI, FireWire, and USB.
(1:24:10 PM): More applause.
(1:26:06 PM): "Now, on to Mac OS X. 12 million people are using Mac OS X, about 1/2 of our installed base. There are now 12,000 native apps."
(1:28:37 PM): Mentions a few applications like Microsoft Office 2004. "It's better than the Windows version. I ran into Bill Gates a few weeks ago and his company feels that their relationship with Apple is better than ever."
(1:28:58 PM): Going over Adobe, Oracle, etc.
(1:29:11 PM): Welcomes the general manager of Alias to talk about new developments with Alias.
(1:29:35 PM): 25% of Alias' worldwide sales are now on the Mac.
(1:30:32 PM): Announces that the long-awaited Maya Unlimited for OS X is coming.
(1:31:25 PM): It's coming later this summer. Alias has a commitment to continue to support the Mac.
(1:35:23 PM): Steve is now discussing more third-party developers.
(1:38:57 PM): Demos Myst Revelations, and Orbit (satellite simulator).
(1:41:09 PM): "Starting today, our focus is on Tiger. It will ship in the first half of 2005."
(1:42:14 PM): "With Panther, we leapt ahead of the competition. We think Tiger will catapult us even further ahead. There's over 150 new features, some are just groundbreaking."
(1:42:44 PM): Just a few features: 64-bit Unix.
(1:43:27 PM): Much applause.
(1:46:28 PM): There's also better SMB support. But the most revolutionary feature is simple: searching.
(1:46:57 PM): "We have too many folders now on our hard disk. How do we solve it? We've already solved it. In iTunes, you can find a song by title, artist, album, etc."
(1:47:54 PM): "Now, it applies to the entire system. It's 'Spotlight' search technology. You can ask it stuff like 'find my keynote presentation by Phil which I opened last week.'"
(1:49:46 PM): Demos Spotlight.
(1:53:53 PM): "Spotlight is searchable in Mail, Address Book, etc."
(1:54:32 PM): "System Preferences - we removed the bar at the top and now uses Spotlight technology. It's an example of helping people find stuff in an existing app."
(1:55:13 PM): "Spotlight is system-wide. In the upper right hand corner is a magnifying glass button. Click it - I get a search field. I get a popdown list of all sorts of things like images, mail, contacts..."
(1:55:39 PM): We have full-context indexing like in PDFs.
(1:56:11 PM): (Yes, we have a fully metadata-driven OS.)
(1:58:23 PM): "Now next-generation MPEG-4: h264. It's scalable, and Apple is adopting it. It's been adopted for high-definition DVD, and it's part of QuickTime in Tiger."
(1:58:31 PM): Introduces Frank Cassanova to demo.
(2:00:34 PM): Frank: "The efficiency of the codec is absolutely incredible."
(2:02:14 PM): "Now: Safari. We're going to take it a step further. RSS."
(2:03:10 PM): "You get all this data from sites and format it how you want. There's a list of sites that offer RSS sites."
(2:03:45 PM): "Wouldn't it be great to aggregate RSS feed and search through them for things you want?"
(2:03:53 PM): Demos Safari's RSS reader.
(2:07:23 PM): There's a new search field in Safari for RSS feeds. Shows a search in Google, but says there's a delay by days. Instead, one can search through RSS feeds and get the results together.
(2:08:03 PM): i.e. Google's spider updates search results every few days. But RSS feeds are instant.
(2:10:09 PM): New technologies: Core Image and Core Video. Does processing in the graphics card and not in the CPU. It's all done with floating point precision.
(2:11:24 PM): Has real-time filters, over 100 professional quality ones. Just like Audio Units, you can extend with image and video units to do whatever you want.
(2:11:28 PM): It's very similar to the way Audio Units/Core Audio works. It's available to any developer to write any apps they want.
(2:11:54 PM): Demos Core Image/Core Video
(2:25:17 PM): Dashboard: Address Book, Calculator, etc. Hit one button to pull them all up. "Expose for widgets." Showing iTunes controller, etc. Next: .Mac. Over 1/2 million subscribers. Building a sync engine right into Tiger. Also using for .Mac syncing throughout Tiger. New .Mac preference panel to turn things on and off in once place. Good for those with more than one Mac. Sync addresses, screensavers, etc... across computers.
(2:31:34 PM): Steve shows an example of getting invites from a website, then adding them to your iPhoto library, then making an iDVD slideshow from them. Very easy to use.
(2:34:27 PM): "Automater will provide even those who don't have any experience programming to make their own scripts."

Where did you get this, man!? Did you make it up or something? I'd really like to know!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.