could it be the battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2009, 2.26 GHz
I have a macbook uni 13", some stupid people, found it very funny to pour juice into it - so now the , uhm think its called 'graphics card' is broken and u can just with out the light shining right on the screen, see a little bit .. Well , a couple of days ago, when I was getting some files, the charger plug fell out, and my Mac went black - it just turned off ..
- Do u think, that if I get a new graphic card and battery - it will work again? (btw, sorry for my bad language - im not so good at english when it comes to this kind of computer language ;D )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sorry to hear of the problems with your Macbook . I however dont have good news , The machine doesn't use a traditional graphics card but a soldered on one. Which means that you cant just change it out , you will need to replace the entire logic board which is quite expensive.

My only suggestion would be for you to find the nearest apple store or contact apple about sending it in. This will not be cheap. Its bad enough when the spill is just water , but juice will be really tough to just clean up.

Sorry
Clay

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, that's the problem.. But iv'e talked to a man about it, and he said he could fix the card for , yeah i think it's about 300 dollars - and that's fine with me .. But i didn't know about the charger thing before I got the mac back from the man ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 tower, powerbook, macbook pro (and a few more)
Battery

Hi there
So, you could see something on the screen? And now it just went blank?
What happens when you plug the mac into the mains (with or without the battery in)? Any light at the connection to the mac or screen? When you press the battery card indicator on the battery do you get any lights? How long have you had the battery?

Sounds like a cheap fix for the graphics card. Be careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
If juice got in through the keyboard, the logic board will be damaged. Spills tend to have systemic problems if you don't replace the board.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
clearercape - no see, i've always used it with the charger plug in - u can see a little on the screen - and without the charger it will not turn on ..

deus_ex_machina - I don't understand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
You can't just fix the graphics card on the macbook - the motherboard must be completely replaced.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aah .. that doesn't sound good .. Well every thing else, beside the screen (and that the computer wont run without the charger) every thing works - is that normal?

- but if the motherboard and battery is replaced (or fixed) - do you think it will work again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you replace the motherboard it will definitely work. You could run an external monitor in the meantime plugged into the mini-VGA port.

Check the battery level to make sure it's the battery and not the adapter that's faulty.

If you have a known good battery that's the test.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay thx . but, it's not the adapter , it works with my macbook white .. :)

"If you have a known good battery that's the test."
- what do u mean?

sorry for all the questions, but im really lost . :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the adapter could be not charging the battery, but still powering the laptop. When the battery is connected, is there a red X over the battery? Does it change when you take the battery out? When you press the little button on the battery do the lights come on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
In addition to a logic/motherboard your macbook also has a little board that does the battery/power work. It is in addition to the logic/motherboard.. its about the size of a half-dollar. If it goes bad you can have the issues you are talking about, the cost of one is about 20 dollars plus whatever you have to pay someone to put it in.

BUT, I would strongly suggest you write your computer off. If someone just coaxed the graphics card back to life and didn't do anything to address the juice on the logic/motherboard it will not last. Odds are the logic/motherboard will eventually die from the juice on it. It might last a week... it might last a couple of months, but the left over juice will continue to corrode the metal inside and it will give up the ghost sooner or later. The only real solution was to replace the parts that got juiced.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aaaah, I see .. Thx ! That helped a lot :)

Reaction score
Its bad enough when the spill is just water , but juice will be really tough to just clean up.

Sorry
Clay

Just so we are clear, to electronics, liquid is liquid; all are equal and lethal. No one is worse than the other.

OP, I would suggest getting a new computer.
Logic Board = $300ish
Battery = $130
LCD = $200ish

You're only $270 short of a brand new MacBook.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the adapter could be not charging the battery, but still powering the laptop. When the battery is connected, is there a red X over the battery? Does it change when you take the battery out? When you press the little button on the battery do the lights come on?

The charger works fine with mine now - and I use it in school; without the charger.. (Macbook white)

I havent looked if there is a X (it's is very hard to see on the screen - especially small things) , it turnes OFF, when I take the charger out .. (Macbook uni)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just so we are clear, to electronics, liquid is liquid; all are equal and lethal. No one is worse than the other.

OP, I would suggest getting a new computer.
Logic Board = $300ish
Battery = $130
LCD = $200ish

You're only $270 short of a brand new MacBook.

No it is true, that juice is worse than water - because in some cases, the water can dry - and "go out" but juice is sticky and cant go away.. It is very hard to clean ..

these prices u use - are in dollars and probably USA then ..
- Here in Denmark , 630 dollars is actually half of what a Macbook costs (or more specific: 670 is the half)

I have a new one - but what I had in mind was just to fix it - and sell it .. But I can see now, that wouldn't be a good deal - if I have to fix the whole motherboard, battery and lcd .. hmm .. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it is true, that juice is worse than water - because in some cases, the water can dry - and "go out" but juice is sticky and cant go away.. It is very hard to clean ..

these prices u use - are in dollars and probably USA then ..
- Here in Denmark , 630 dollars is actually half of what a Macbook costs (or more specific: 670 is the half)

I have a new one - but what I had in mind was just to fix it - and sell it .. But I can see now, that wouldn't be a good deal - if I have to fix the whole motherboard, battery and lcd .. hmm .. :/

I don't think you'll have to replace the LCD - replacing the motherboard should fix the graphics problem.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think you'll have to replace the LCD - replacing the motherboard should fix the graphics problem.

Hmm , okay , ill try to find out how much one of those costs .. and see .. If it's not to expensive , ill buy it and sell my Macbook ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be clear, the white Macbook is the one with the spill and the bad battery, and you have a unibody Macbook as a replacement?

You mentioned above that the unibody Macbook shuts off when pull the plug, is that correct? Or do you mean the one with the spill?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.