• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Coronavirus. Do you know anyone that had it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
just curious. I know one person that had it and they nearly died from it. Spent many days in ICU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My wife knows nearly a dozen friends/family/acquaintances who have died from it, and many more who have had it but recovered. We actually suspect we had it. Back in February, we had what we thought was the flu, but even then it seemed a bit unusual. Every year, I get blamed for getting everyone sick, but this time I got it from her. She had been in Boston for work, and shortly after coming home, she came down with something and I did too a few days later. Like I said, we thought it was the flu or "flu-like", but even at the time I thought it seemed a little unusual compared to my past experiences (I get "something" every blasted year around that time). Since then, we learned she was in Boston at the same time as the Biogen conference where there was a major COVID event. Very likely she was on the same plane as some participants to that conference.

With Florida blowing up with cases, and being from there with family, friends, and former co-workers there, I'm bracing myself for losing a few. It's not funny at all how this is being handled and I am very very bitter about all of this.

Reaction score
You have my sympathies.

Care homes here in the UK have been badly exposed and there are reports that many patients were sent to care homes without Covid-19 testing and there are even reports that pressure was exerted by hospitals for care homes to accept patients that were showing Covid-19 symptoms!

At the Hubert Humphrey Building dedication, Nov. 1, 1977, in Washington, D.C., former vice president Humphrey spoke about the treatment of the weakest members of society as a reflection of a government:

The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.

... I guess on that basis we're a less than healthy society here in the UK :(

The virus affected one of my closest friends as he lost his father early on in the pandemic. The virus was virulent and took hold at his care home. He was admitted from his private residence in early February and he sadly died at the end of the month. The isolation he experienced and lack of physical contact with loved ones (due to mandatory restrictions) was very sad.

We must take the threat of a second wave very seriously and be vigilant for the sake of the vulnerable in our families and communities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I know of one lady from our church who had it, and her entire household of 4 people. They all have recovered.

A great nephew was exposed to it, but tested negative.

We have a family member living in an assisted living facility south of Chicago. No residents have had it, but two staff members did.

We have two ER nurses in the family. Neither have gotten the virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
A cousin had it. But not for long, he died less than two weeks after testing. He was 28.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Several in different parts of the UK (father and son in my street) plus my cousin in Ireland who was very sick for weeks and still has throat problems. No deaths, fortunately. I have been very careful, initially only going out to walk my dog, but am starting to dine out and have friends call. Cafés and restaurants need custom to survive but the numbers eating out are small. My avenue had a socially distanced street party for VE Day which gave everyone a positive boost. The young couple next door downloaded the 40s swing music!

B1E98F0D-8F87-48E1-8927-CE75CD03CE3F_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So far no relatives have had it. I have a friend who is a mental health counselor who now has it. They were working from home until Monday, July 13th, when they opened the office for patients. On Wednesday, July 15th the office people were all told they were exposed by a patient so all were tested. Six came back positive of which my friend was one. He has had some breathing issues but is controlling it with inhalers. For several days no fever then he now has had a low grade one. His wife and daughter are in quarantine with him but show no symptoms.

One of our church praise team members tested positive and her whole family has it. She says it is like a super bad flu. Her husband works on a Covid floor at the local hospital. She is a stay at home mom - and she got sick first!

Our church custodian/person in charge of sanitizing, tested positive but never had any symptoms. Her dad was sick with it and has recovered. After two weeks off, she has now had one test come back negative and we are waiting for the second test to come back. Not sure if it is for the virus or anti-bodies???

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well this has been one horrible week, and it's only Tuesday. I know of a medical assistant who died of COVID a month ago. I've known her for a long time. Sunday, I learned a cousin who I barely knew but in recent years have kept in touch via FB died unexpectedly (we were born days apart). Now I find out a highly respected nurse I knew just died, and she was in her 40's with young children. I don't yet know of the circumstances behind my cousin or the nurse, but this is too much too quickly and wholly unexpected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Hugs for those who have lost relatives and friends. This is an insidious disease. Survivors of what had been described as 'mild' symtoms are suffering complications months on. We are so far away from normal; I don't think I will see it in my lifetime and feel many things will change forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
I had it, I am a survivor. I realized I had it about 4 weeks ago when I felt flu-like symptoms but then I lost my taste/smell. Got tested and was positive, but then got sicker after that. I ended up in the ER diagnosed with pneumonia after having it for a couple of weeks. They prescribed a z-pack and nebulizer and zinc. Also they told me to drink tea or hot water with lemon and ginger which I have been doing. Now I am almost fully recovered although I feel like my taste/smell are a bit wonky and I still feel the tickle in my chest and have the urge to cough. So I have to have two negative tests to return to work and my first test last week was negative. Tomorrow I take my next test and should have the results during the week.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had it, I am a survivor. .

hope you're doing better. the person I know that had it spent nearly 3 weeks in ICU. not days like I first posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 weeks wow! I know I am incredibly lucky to not have been admitted into the hospital, I never forget to count my blessings! I hope your friend is ok now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My wife and I volunteer at several nursing homes in our area. Some folks in the local nursing homes around here have passed away from Covid-19. Of course most of the residents in nursing homes already have serious conditions that are detrimental to their health.

We are no longer allowed to enter the nursing homes, however, the homes have staff that work there; nurses, attendants, cooks, other help, etc. Those workers come and go as necessary. They are of course checked for fever and tested frequently. The problem is that some people carry and spread the virus without ever having symptoms or getting sick. Unfortunately, some of those carriers of the virus are people that work in the nursing homes.

Some of you might remember the tale of "Typhoid Mary" (From Wikipedia):

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully the vaccine is put to use soon and you can return to volunteering at the nursing home. I know that even though I have had it and have antibodies, that only means a reinfection may not cause me to have symptoms. I still have to wear a mask and practice all the safety practices as usual because I will still be a carrier like anyone else.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I know two younger people in their 30's who have had it, both have recovered but one has lingering problems with heart palpitations, neither were hospitalised.
It's clear that this is a potentially fatal virus with unknown long term effects even for those that recover. We simply have not had the time to follow these patients over a long enough time frame to know. We have had a few babies, one newborn test positive here in Victoria and have no idea what the long term effects might be.
No one can afford to be blasé about catching this virus.
We are currently on week 2 of Stage 4 lockdown here in Victoria due to a second wave of infections. I know we have comparatively low numbers compared to other countries but thanks to our rigorous isolation program we have 3 States with no cases at all, one with 20 and here in Victoria our numbers are dropping after peaking at 700 new cases a day down to 394 today. The worst of it that there are 994 heath care workers currently positive, 634 cases in hospital 43 in intensive acre and 26 on ventilators.
So currently unless one has a "essential" job we are all stuck in our homes, cannot travel more that 5Km from home and only for essential supplies, medical care or care giving and exercise which amounts to running around the block. Masks are mandatory everywhere. State borders are closed. We are facing a total of 6 weeks of this lockdown although that may change according to case numbers.

So, my heartfelt sympathies to everyone who has lost someone to this virus and keep your chins up. I am confident we will beat this disease in time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know two younger people in their 30's who have had it, both have recovered but one has lingering problems with heart palpitations, neither were hospitalised.
It's clear that this is a potentially fatal virus with unknown long term effects even for those that recover. We simply have not had the time to follow these patients over a long enough time frame to know. We have had a few babies, one newborn test positive here in Victoria and have no idea what the long term effects might be.
No one can afford to be blasé about catching this virus.
We are currently on week 2 of Stage 4 lockdown here in Victoria due to a second wave of infections. I know we have comparatively low numbers compared to other countries but thanks to our rigorous isolation program we have 3 States with no cases at all, one with 20 and here in Victoria our numbers are dropping after peaking at 700 new cases a day down to 394 today. The worst of it that there are 994 heath care workers currently positive, 634 cases in hospital 43 in intensive acre and 26 on ventilators.
So currently unless one has a "essential" job we are all stuck in our homes, cannot travel more that 5Km from home and only for essential supplies, medical care or care giving and exercise which amounts to running around the block. Masks are mandatory everywhere. State borders are closed. We are facing a total of 6 weeks of this lockdown although that may change according to case numbers.

So, my heartfelt sympathies to everyone who has lost someone to this virus and keep your chins up. I am confident we will beat this disease in time.

I have to say that I have no idea if I will have any additional or lingering symptoms. I do know that although I regained my taste and smell, they are both kind of wonky still and not very strong. You are right, no one should be blasé and I hope everyone knows how important masks are, and being vigilant with washing, cleaning, not touching face etc. I hope your lockdown works!! My job here in Florida was considered essential so I was forced to continue to work all these months while everyone was on lockdown. I am lucky that I could work from home somewhat during my illness but when I am well, I must go back to work. My county has a mandatory mask resolution but not all in Florida do. We have learned to adjust to curbside pickup and online deliveries for shopping, although I do go into the store occasionally. Today's headlines are that we are down to 6229 new cases and 77 deaths in Florida which is a significant decrease from over 10,000 new cases per day. But that is the entire state, each county is very different here. My county has had 5772 positives and 189 deaths total. The population of my county is over 330,000. The further south you go in Florida, the higher the population, more cities and congestion and significantly more positives and deaths occur as well. I think if your area is experiencing an uptick in cases, its vitally important to restrict or lockdown to save lives. I wish you well!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks dufchick, same to you. I forgot to mention that rigorous testing and isolation while awaiting results is also an important element of control. We found here in Victoria that up to a quarter of people being tested did not self isolate while awaiting a result. Worse than that checks performed by police on people tested positive found a significant number were not at home. Contact tracing has also proved to be very important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod I agree those controls are vitally important, our health department does contract tracing but I have no idea if they check to make sure people are actually at home while on lockdown. I am going to try to find that answer. My son just arrived from Italy (he is in the Air Force) and has to be on lockdown in our house for the next 14 days and he was advised to take his temperature daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.