Copy mail to new Mac?

Reaction score
I cannot boot into my main hard drive and need to get saved mail from it to a new drive that I have set up. How do i copy all of my mail over from the old drive to the new. I can see all of the files on the old drive, just can't boot into it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Put the old drive in an external USB SATA carrier or use an adapter and attach it to your new Mac via USB and copy the mail that way. You can buy a USB SATA carrier on line or at one of many stores that sell computer accessories.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's already in an enclosure, but how do I access the Mail folder? Ordinarily the Library folder is hidden and you need to open Finder and press the Option key to make the link show up. How do I access that hidden Library folder on the remote drive?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
From the Finder Go menu choose Go to Folder. From there you have to enter the pathname to the library folder. If the drive in the enclosure is named "Bob" for example the path would look like this:

/Volumes/Bob/Users/Username/Library

In your case substitute the name of the drive in the enclosure for "Bob" and the username whose library you want to see for Username.

OP
M
Reaction score
When I copied the Library/Mail folder over it brought over the folders inside my mail account, but not the mail itself. How do I populated the folders with the mail contents?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.