• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting old video formats for display on a web site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have some VERY old videos on a web site that I'd like to bring up to current standards. They are old .ram files. Remember them? They are the old Real Player formatted files. I also have flv versions of them as well.

What I'd like to do is be able to display them on the site so that both Win and Mac users can view them.

1. What format should they be converted to?
2. What software will work best to do the conversion?
3. Since Mac and iOS doesn't like Flash, what is the best way to display them on the web site so that both Mac and Win users can view them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
I have some VERY old videos on a web site that I'd like to bring up to current standards. They are old .ram files. Remember them? They are the old Real Player formatted files. I also have flv versions of them as well....

I just did a test and tried various ways to convert .ram and.flv files. Although some sources say VLC or Quicktime 7 Pro will work for these, in my experience they did not.

I then tried Handbrake which worked fine for both .ram and .flv files, converting them to H.264 .mp4 files which Mac and Win users can view: https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

I also tried MacX Video Converter Pro which worked OK, but it is a paid app and Handbrake is free and seemed to work just as well. However it can do some types of conversions that Handbrake cannot, so I keep it around: MacX Video Converter Pro - Video Converter for Mac to Convert MKV MP4 AVI WMV for iPhone iPad Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.