Convert iTunes Library from Lossless to MP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
A few years ago I copied all of my CD's (450+) as Lossless onto my iMac. Fast forward to today, I just bought a new Tesla Model Y and bought a Samsung T7 SSD to support it's Sentry Mode/Dash Cam feature so I partitioned it (350 GB for the DashCam and 150 GB for Music) I them exported all my music from iTunes onto it. It starts to load and then gives an error message. Turns out Tesla's media player doesn't support Lossless aka MP4a's. So can I just convert my entire iTunes library back to MP3's without creating a second copy of each song? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So can I just convert my entire iTunes library back to MP3's without creating a second copy of each song?

Apple's directions for converting are here:

How do I convert an M4A audio file to MP3 using iTunes?
  1. Load up iTunes and click on Edit in the toolbar, followed by Preferences.
  2. In General Preferences, click on Import Settings.
  3. You'll spy a drop-down box and from inside there, choose MP3 Encoder.
  4. Click OK and head back to your iTunes library.
That may leave you with duplicates which is what you don't want. You'll just have to experiment and try the conversion with one or two songs before attempting to convert an entire library.

I imagine, however, that you would still want to keep your m4a lossless music library to play on other media?

Nice vehicle by the way. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.