Contemplating Switch: Developer Info

Reaction score
Hello, I had a previous topic about using Office on a Mac. Thank you for all of your help. I have a couple more questions about a few different aspects of Mac. I placed them in two separate topics as it seemed most appropriate since the subjects are so different. I hope this is not considered spamming.

Anyhow . . . I am wondering about development and programming on the Mac. I know that Microsoft has a line of Visual Basic Express editions that are free to download and includes C, C++, J#, etc. Does Mac has any sort of free developer tools that I could take advantage of? If so, what are those developer tools called.

Please keep in mind that I have not actually programming anything much more complicated than a few converter programs in C++. For instance, I have made a celcius to farenheit converter. Nothing complicated at all. I am definately a beginner, so some technical jargon may go over my head.

Additionally, what are some resources that would be good for me to read as a beginner. This can be in the form of HTML, PDF, or actual books that I would buy at Barnes & Noble. Ideally, I would like to learn programming for making video games. I know that is going to be in the distant future, so where should I begin.

Thanks for all of your help on the previous topic. I appreciate all of your helpfulness and tact. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Here are some of the best developer tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 1G 15"
http://www.wesnoth.org/

If you are interested in eventually programing for games you might find this an interesting site. Read the project link.

You may be able to get some advice about learning resources as well.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.