Constant notifications of 'new' mail

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a MacBook and for my mail I use the standard application Mail. It works perfect for me, except for one thing: I keep getting notifications of 'new' emails that I received and opened exactly one month ago.

It's annoying, because I get a notification in the top right corner which causes stress sometimes hahah (if it says something like "to do list for upcoming deadline", while the deadline already happened). Furthermore, the icon in the dock shows that I have unread mail, but the email doesn't show up at the top (I have it sorted by date) but in the place where it's supposed to be, so to fix it I have to sort by unread, click the 'new email', sort by date, only to have this happen again two hours later.

It doesn't always happen every day, it doesn't always happen for every email, and then some days/weeks it does.

Does anyone know this problem and/or have a solution for me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think what member chas_m was hinting at is to change your mail protocol from POP to IMAP and that problem will go away. However, if you don't wish to do that, select the option from Mail that says "After downloading, remove the message from the server". Just make sure if you select that, that you keep good backups of all your mail. You should be backing up everything anyway. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.