Connection Options For Macbooks?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a new Mac laptop. Let's assume for now a MacBook Air.

I'm hoping you can educate me on how these machines are to be connected to other devices. So far my needs seem to be:

- connect 2 external monitors
- connect external keyboard
- connect one or more USB drives

I also need to target mode large files from an old iMac (firewire) to the new laptop regularly.

On my old Macbook I can do all this using the built-in ports. Seems for the new laptop I'll need to buy extra stuff and learn the new connection system.

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The MBA has 2 USB-C ports, so your external connectivity depends entirely on the type of USB-C hubs you purchase. Most of them will come with one HDMI, a couple of USB-A ports and SD slot. To support 2 monitors, you'll need 1 hub and one HDMi->USB-C converter. For keyboard, you can go wireless if you wish or use the hub's USB port to connect a wired keyboard, the same for other USB drive/devices.

If you are going to be using a lot of external devices, you should consider a hub with enough ports to support that use.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you, appreciate the advice. Ok, so I just need to shop for a USB-C hub, seems easy enough.

I use target mode to move files from an old iMac to my old laptop (firewire to firewire). To target mode to the new laptop I need a firewire to USB-C cable?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thank you, appreciate the advice. Ok, so I just need to shop for a USB-C hub, seems easy enough.

Indeed, and you can even purchase a couple of hubs and plug them into the USB-C slot, you'll want to ensure that they have at least 3-4 inches of cable length so that they don't interfere with each other. For example, the official Apple USB-C adapter has a USB-C, USB-A and HDMI connector on it and comes with about a 2 inch cable meaning you can plug two of them in and support two monitors and up to 4 USB external devices.

I use target mode to move files from an old iMac to my old laptop (firewire to firewire). To target mode to the new laptop I need a firewire to USB-C cable?

Target Disk Mode requires the use of Firewire cables and the USB-C connector on the MBA is actually Thunderbolt 3, so technically a USB-C to TB2 adapter should allow you to continue to use it in target disk mode, but you might want to verify that before plunking down cash for that adapter since I don't use this feature.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks again, helpful.

For the benefit of myself and any others who may arrive at this thread, here's some useful information I found about target mode.

First, a basic how to explanation:

Understanding the Applications for Target Disk Mode

Next, the adapter I will need to connect firewire on the old Mac to thunderbolt on the new laptop:

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple (UK)

---------------------

All that said, if anyone wishes to suggest other methods of moving large chunks of data from one Mac to another please do. I know how to use our local network, and that's good for a few files, but too slow for my taste for gigs of data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I usually use a portable USB hard drive, not a flash drive, but something about 320 gigs or even larger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.