Connection Fails When Downloading

Reaction score
Howdy All!

I have a new Imac that is running duel OS 10.5 / XP (bootcamp) flawlessly!

Connection is via Airport.

The problem I am having is on the Mac side – browsing the net is fine, but when I try to download anything the connection fails. I have to reboot my router and modem. No problems on the XP side. Not running Parallel. I think it is an IP conflict, how can I diagnose?

Happy 4th!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
The first thing you should try is to change the channel your router is broadcasting on. Even though you're on different networks, two or more networks sharing the same channel (frequency) will bog down the bandwidth of that channel. Before you select which channel to try, download/install iStumbler and get a look at the wireless networks in your area. iStumbler will tell you what channel each of these is operating on so you can avoid those channels.

Reaction score
but when XP(bootcamp) is active and working I suppose the OSX system is off, so is not possible that there is a conflict on the wireless channels. Or the OSX Airport is always active even when boot has been done on the XP(bootcamp) side? If so it would at least seem strange.
May be that there is some firewall block, for example on FTP or other ports used by specific downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never say it's not possible with our beloved airports. These things can be be really finicky. I'm trying to eliminate the obvious stuff first because, 9 times out of 10, the problems are due to the obvious stuff. Browsing isn't a problem so it is not likely to be a firewall issue, either. My thought was that downloading files usually takes longer than downloading webpages so there could be some interference during those timeframes. We don't know how much the windoze side has been tested, but I got the impression most of the time the computer is running OS-X.

So now I wait for the OP'r to post some findings...

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Just downloading iStumbler crashed my connection. I was able to get the file and install it - no obvious channel conflicts. I changed the channel anyway. Browsing and ftp are both fine. This only happens when I download a file on the OSX side.

Some webpages that pull images from a domain other than the target domain cause this issue also. Example - if abc.com is pulling an image from xyz.com it will cause the lockup. I only noticed this when I posted to a forum with a linked image from one of my domains.

Hep Me Hep Me!

Regards, DEL

Reaction score
Citizen of the world, currently in Orlando, FL
Your Mac's Specs
iMac dual 1.83
Guys, I've been trying to work with Delmarsurf on this one, and admit that I'm a bit stuck on this one, too. I'm using a Netgear modem with no such problems... and delmarsurf isn't a TOTAL !clue newbie...

He doesn't have any trouble with iTunes, but even beginning a FTP transfer will lock up the router so that another computer can't use it either. This seems to tell me that the router is FUBAR, rather than his iMac. It doesn't matter what the file size is... to add to confusion on this. (Yet he can surf the Internet, browse, etc.) And it works just fine when he boots the iMac under XP (go figure!)

Anybody else got any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input. Just downloading iStumbler crashed my connection. I was able to get the file and install it - no obvious channel conflicts. I changed the channel anyway. Browsing and ftp are both fine. This only happens when I download a file on the OSX side.

Some webpages that pull images from a domain other than the target domain cause this issue also. Example - if abc.com is pulling an image from xyz.com it will cause the lockup. I only noticed this when I posted to a forum with a linked image from one of my domains.

Hep Me Hep Me!

Regards, DEL
OK, now it doesn't sound like a channel conflict. What browser are you using? And can you give me an example of one of the websites that it hangs up on?

OP
D
Reaction score
It is not the Mac or browser. I just installed a broadband USB from Verizon and there are no problems. Cox is coming out to check the modem. Maybe some sort of DNS issue?

John - I am using Safari / OS X 10.5.4 and the problem happens with any file download - example iStumbler.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.