Connecting via Netgear basestation

Reaction score
Had to have a new hard drive for my Powerbook and tried to connect when I got it back via my Netgear base station.

AirPort detected there is a Netgear network. However, I keep getting re
quests for a WPA personal password. I've got another machine hooked up but I can't get the password out of it and hence my origina Powerbook can't get connected to the net. To be honest it's so long since it was set up I'm not even sure the netgear station has a password!

Is there something very obvious I am not doing? Or, how do I reset the password?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Had to have a new hard drive for my Powerbook and tried to connect when I got it back via my Netgear base station.

AirPort detected there is a Netgear network. However, I keep getting re
quests for a WPA personal password. I've got another machine hooked up but I can't get the password out of it and hence my origina Powerbook can't get connected to the net. To be honest it's so long since it was set up I'm not even sure the netgear station has a password!

Is there something very obvious I am not doing? Or, how do I reset the password?

You can log into your router and make the change via it's web configuration page. You can do this either from your working machine or with an Ethernet cable attached directly between your Mac and the router. Your manual should detail this process. Once you're logged in, it's just a matter of re-entering a new password.

WPA encryption requires a password to be entered to connect to the wireless network. Once you do this once, the password will be automatically entered for you. Since your Mac's hard drive was replaced, it is essentially a new machine logging in for the first time and that's why you're being prompted for the password.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
cwa107 beat me too it, but what Model is your Linksys? I have the manuals to most of them.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks - how do I "log in" to the router? I can't even find a page on this machine which has a password list - I might even be able to decipher the password if I knew how long it was!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks - how do I "log in" to the router? I can't even find a page on this machine which has a password list - I might even be able to decipher the password if I knew how long it was!

Like I mentioned previously, you first need to either boot up your already connected machine (you did mention that you have another already connected) or connect your Mac directly to the router via an Ethernet connection.

Once you do that, the process you take to log into your router will vary depending on the model. Usually, you open a web browser, type 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.0.100, again depending on the model). You will be prompted for your router's configuration username and password, typically the username is admin and the password will either be 'admin' or 'password' - again, your manual details this. Then you go into the wireless security configuration page and change the password for WPA security.

There's no way to know how many characters because this is typically obscured.

If all else fails, you can hard reset the router by pressing and holding the reset button on the back of the unit for 30 seconds after plugging it in. Of course, after doing that, you'll need to refer back to your manual to determine how to configure it properly again.

OP
G
Reaction score
I had a root around but still couldn't find how to reset the password - however, as a last measure I put in the password for my ISP account and it worked!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.