Connecting M1 MBP to external monitor, JBOD and NAS

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping you have some advice regarding the connection of my new M1 MBP to an external monitor (BenQ 2720 with dual thunderbolt 3) along with a OWC Thunderbay enclosure (dual thunderbolt 2) and a QNAP 872XT NAS (dual thunderbolt 3).

At this stage I have the MBP connected to the monitor (thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 3), monitor connected to NAS (thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 3) and MBP connected to the Thunderbay enclosure (thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2). I assume I could daisy-chain from MBP to monitor to Thunderbay enclosure to QNAP however I thought that I would lose some of the thunderbolt 3 speed as it passes through the thunderbolt 2 Thunderbay enclosure?

Additionally I wondered if there was a way I could simply unplug the MBP and take it away without having to eject all the Thunderbay drives every time?

Thanks,

Cam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with the Thunderbolt questions but for this one:
Additionally I wondered if there was a way I could simply unplug the MBP and take it away without having to eject all the Thunderbay drives every time?
The answer is "no." But there is a third party tool I use to eject drives quickly called EjectBar that makes the unmounting much easier. It sits on the top menu bar of the screen. It's in the Mac App Store. Don't know if it runs on M1 natively, but worth a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.