confusion over permissions

Reaction score
Hi

I'm setting up file sharing on my imac, but I'm confused as to what the following users refer to:

"Administrators"
"Unrecognised User"
"Users"
"Everyone"

I could make intelligent guesses, but last time I locked myself out of my computer... In particular a verbose answer on what "Everyone" means would be great, as I can't find a decent answer on the web.

Also does "No Access" mean no access, unless you have the administrator password? Or completely no access for anyone, ever, under any circumstances?

And one last thing... what do the different icons mean - one, two or three heads... what's the difference between an account with one head and the same account with two?

Thanks a heap : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
Everyone means all users ie Administrators, users and <u>anonymous</u> users.
Users means standard users (no admin rights)
Administrators means users who have rights over everything. Although 'root' has even more access.

No access means there is no permissions have been set to grant access to a file/folder (I am not sure if this is the same as Denied access which is rights specifically denied to some users).

No Access

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.