Confusing "Reply to Thread" button

Status
Not open for further replies.

krs

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why is happening and if it is possible to fix that in the forum or if it's part of the vBulletin standard template.

When I quote a post in my reply, every once in a while I get a "Reply to Thread" button at the lower left - see attachment.

Since normally read from left to right, this is the first thing I see after I have completed my post and I click on that button automatically to post my comment/reply.
This is obviously the wrong thing to do, but I end up doing that especially if I'm in a rush and have some other task that needs to be done.

The confusing part is that this "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom left does not always show up when I reply with a quote of another post.

I initially thought that "Reply to Thread" button only shows up if I quote and reply to a post in the thread that is not the last one, but that doesn't turn out to be true either.

Mac-Forum issue_800.jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm trying to understand why is happening and if it is possible to fix that in the forum or if it's part of the vBulletin standard template.

When I quote a post in my reply, every once in a while I get a "Reply to Thread" button at the lower left - see attachment.

Since normally read from left to right, this is the first thing I see after I have completed my post and I click on that button automatically to post my comment/reply.
This is obviously the wrong thing to do, but I end up doing that especially if I'm in a rush and have some other task that needs to be done.

The confusing part is that this "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom left does not always show up when I reply with a quote of another post.

I initially thought that "Reply to Thread" button only shows up if I quote and reply to a post in the thread that is not the last one, but that doesn't turn out to be true either.

View attachment 31133

Hi krs

All I did here was click on "Reply With Quote" which opened a window and I started typing underneath your quoted message. Then I click on "Post Quick Reply" over on the right in Red.

I never click on the blue "+Reply to Thread". I'm not actually sure what that means.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi krs

All I did here was click on "Reply With Quote" which opened a window and I started typing underneath your quoted message. Then I click on "Post Quick Reply" over on the right in Red.

I never click on the blue "+Reply to Thread". I'm not actually sure what that means.

Ian

I see it also. Never even tried it so decided to click it and it opened a plain reply window. I like Ian just click on Reply with Quote or just Reply.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I know I'm supposed to click on "Post Quick Reply"at the bottom right, but why is Reply to Thread (on the left where I typically look first - reading right to left you know) even there?

It is not there with this reply for instance.

It's an error in the coding as far as I can see.

See attachment

MacForum_coding Error_800.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you reply to the thread, by typing a reply in the "Quick Reply" box, the "reply to thread" is not needed. When you click on Reply or Reply with Quote and maybe even the Quote box, you are replying to that members post, not to the thread. At least that is the way it seems to me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's there on every thread and just takes to you to the Quick Reply box when clicked. You click on the "Reply with Quote" to quote a single post and jump to the reply box. You can click on the quote icon with the + icon to quote multiple threads and when you click on "Reply with quote" you will jump to the box with all the posts quoted.

You can always click on "Go Advanced" to open a new page.

Anyway, don't bother clicking on the button and just move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.