CONFUSED.....help please

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
My borther has been a Mac fan for years and tells me that I am stupid not to at least get a Mac this time and try it out with all of the problems and money i have had in the last 12-15 months. I guess it is the fear of something new and not knowing how to fix it. But it seems like there is a lot of support on here for problems and all new Mac users.

I may look towards refurbished to save some money and make sure this is what I want. Are all wireless routers compatiable with PC and Mac? I live in the middle of know where and there are no Apple stores or anything around.

I may consider a notebook but I don't want to regret giving up some of the power of a desk top. But would like the convience of being able to take it anywhere with me.

thanks

Reaction score
mseg16222, any wireless router that does the industry standard 802.11 will work with both Mac and PC, it is like dial tone on a phone. The only compatibility issues are also identical with Macs and PCs, if you have an N speed Mac, get an N speed router. Most are backwards compatible, but there is no reason to buy an N speed router if your wireless computers are G speed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
I am unsure about a notebook or imac. I will have the PC hooked up and I think I would like the notebook but will I lose alot of power and options for notebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
If I were you I would get the iMac. You get a MUCH bigger screen and a full keyboard with number pad. The extra power might come in handy though if your kids like to play games and to help the computer not get out-dated as fast. Go to one of the local apple stores (if you live near one) and test them out. They all have Microsoft office on them, so you can see how it will feel when you use it at home.

Reaction score
Stop fretting - make the leap. The risk feels bigger than it really is.

I'm an experienced Mac and PC user, still running 3 PCs as well as my Mac, but given the cash I would gladly go all Mac.

As for what to buy, buy a MacBook Pro with 15" screen. Dont skimp and buy the MacBook, nor deny yourself mobility by buying an iMac. Just do it!

Pay for AppleCare and know that you will have no more technical concerns to bring you down.

Now all this is going to cost you more up front than buying a PC, BUT...you will save money over the longer term! And it will stress you less.

2 weeks after buying your Mac you will look back and ask why you delayed the move to a better world so long.

Unless you like fiddling with temperamental PCs and waiting for Vista SP2, the Mac is a better machine for the rest of us...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
If you have enough money and you want desktop type power you could always go with a refurb MBP, the portability will really come in handy, but if it's going to limit you from doing things your going to need to do the iMac is for you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
2 weeks after buying your Mac you will look back and ask why you delayed the move to a better world so long.

I'm not sure this is a good thing. I took delivery of mine exactly 2 weeks ago, and now I'm regretting pretty much every single PC I've owned since Windows 3.1!!! :Shouting:

But all that's behind me now. It's a breath of fresh air every time I open the lid on my MBP and *zing* it's up and ready to go in about 1-2 seconds. Class. O:)

Go for it, you won't regret it. I didn't for one second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Given that it sounds like you'll need another monitor for your new Mac, the iMac would probably be your best desktop choice. Keep in mind though it doesn't sound like you need the graphics advantage that an iMac has over a Mac mini, so if you can supply the display, keyboard, and mouse, the mini maybe a way to save a few dollars.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
Okay I have narrowed it down to 3..........But I am going to be keeping my HP desktop media center with a 20 inch screen.

Refurbished 20-inch iMac
Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 Cache 4MB Shared
System bus 800MHz
Memory 1GB (one SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300), supports up to 4GB
Hard drive 250GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm

$999.00

OR

Model Refurbished MacBook - White
Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 Cache 4MB shared
System bus 800MHz
Memory 1GB (two 512MB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); supports up to 4GB
Hard drive 80GB Serial ATA; 5400-rpm
Slot-loading optical drive Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

$849.00

or

Model Refurbished MacBook Pro
Processor 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
Display 15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 x 900 resolution, TFT widescreen
PCI Express Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
$1449.00

And if I go refurbished should I still get the 3 year warranty? I want to order in the next few days......thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
So, to narrow it down further.. do you need mobile? Don't worry about power, iMacs actually use mobile components, so they work out about the same (and mobile units have gotten VERY fast lately). The pros and cons are mobile versus big screen.

If you go mobile, will you be playing games other than web games? If answer = yes then goto Macbook pro
else
goto macbook (sorry, programming joke)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
I can't say that I need a notebook or laptop but I have always wanted one. Doesn't mean I need it :) I only play web games, surf net, email, some picture programs and down loading music for ipod.

Reaction score
mseg - i was a long time corporate and personal pc user. recently had to replace college daughter pc. as in the past, she has wanted a mac. this time she got it (old enough to make a rationale decision). WOW - i have never touched a mac before getting hers. i set it up - it was sooo easy - absolutely everything worked right out the box. bootup time for the mbp was LESS than 25 SECONDS! compared to minutes with pc.

now i have been praying for my laptop to break so i can get a mac. you won't be sorry -

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
I think I may just get the macbook because I really don't need the pro but the price difference isn't to bad but ......I am driving myself crazy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I think I may just get the macbook because I really don't need the pro but the price difference isn't to bad but ......I am driving myself crazy

I think you can get a Macbook pro from the apple refurb store for around the same price as a high end MacBook

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
Thank you everyone for all of your advice. I received my refurbished macbook 2.2GHz on Monday. And all I can say is that I LOVE IT. It is the first time I have touched a mac since I believe it was the apple 2e home computer back in the 80's. The adjusted from windows was not that hard at all. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP. I am sure I will be back when I am needing help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.