Confused about my USB-C ports on MBP 2019

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
macOS Monterey Version 12.4
Processor 1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

I always believed that, as advertised, my MBP had 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports but my 2 colleagues (Mac users for decades) keep telling me that the upper port (the one on top) is useless and I can plug my screen (Samsung 34 ultra-wide) only on the bottom port.
I am now second-guessing myself and refrain from using the top port at all.
I don't have that many ports as it is (only 2, lol) so avoiding one is pretty inconvenient.

(I'm in South-East Asia, all Mac stores are resellers and they're pretty clueless as well)
Just wanted the opinion of real experts like you guys.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think what you have there is the so called low end 2019 MBP with 2 Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type -C). Apart from the 3.5mm audio jack, the lower-end versions of the 2019 MacBook Pro have just two physical input/ouptut ports: a pair of USB Type-C ports on the left edge. That's it. There's no dedicated video output, no familiar USB Type-A port, and no SD card reader.
"One upside of these ports, as limiting as having just two may be, is that either port can be used to charge the MacBook Pro using the included USB Type-C charging cable and AC adapter. Another consolation is that both of the ports support Thunderbolt 3 speeds, up to 40Gbps. More than one Thunderbolt 3 connector was rare on a laptop at this price range at the time, and if you use a Thunderbolt 3 dock, a single cable can provide access to external displays, drives, and other peripherals."

So, no, the top (closest to the back edge) port is not a dedicated charger port, either can be used for any allowable purpose.

That model was also considerably cheaper than the 4 X Thunderbolt port model and there are some other differences;

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/cer64r

So, you can see there are a few minor performance differences but not so much that you would be likely to notice in day to day use and you didnt end up the the Touch Strip which apart from being problematic a lot of people hate.

Last edited:
OP
Nicolas1974
Reaction score
@Rod
Yes you are right, it's the low-end MBP, which has just about done its time and should be replaced with the next-gen of MacBook Air (whenever it comes out, this year or next year).
I'll buy a docking station/hum for home office and when I'm at the office I won't need to be connected to anything other than the power.

Thanks, I understand more about my ports now

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You're very welcome.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.