Confused About Battery Health

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a strange occurrence and I can't figure out if the problem lies in replacing my battery or my chargers.

For a while now, when I plug my charger in, it will charge but occasionally I'll glance up top and notice the battery icon says (Not Charging) and the charger light will either be gone or it will be red. Obviously, figured it was a charger issue so I bought another one, and that charger did the same thing until last night it quit altogether (it was refurbished so I'm assuming it was just a piece 'o crap). Well, last night I looked at the battery icon and saw 'Replace Soon'. Googled that and Apple suggested re-seating the battery and if it is in okay health, that message should be gone when it's back in. Did that, and the message may be gone, but there's still a charger issue, it seems. While the battery says it's currently charging, the charger light is green the whole time when it should be red.

Following this?

I downloaded Coconut Battery but I'm not sure how to read the data it's giving me. Can someone tell me if what this shows means that my battery actually IS dying? And should I replace the charger? And if the battery IS dying, why is the message 'Replace Soon' gone now?

Thanks

lglkh.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You have an old computer (MacBook 2,1) with a LOT of battery cycles (1450).

The battery in these old MacBooks is designed for 300 charge cycles before they start going "downhill" 1450 is a lot more than 300. You can certainly keep using the battery if you get enough runtime on a full charge. But being an old battery (with a lot of charge cycles) could explain some of the issues (including the "Replace Now" message).

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
You have an old computer (MacBook 2,1) with a LOT of battery cycles (1450).

The battery in these old MacBooks is designed for 300 charge cycles before they start going "downhill" 1450 is a lot more than 300. You can certainly keep using the battery if you get enough runtime on a full charge. But being an old battery (with a lot of charge cycles) could explain some of the issues (including the "Replace Now" message).

- Nick

I don't know if it makes a difference, but this is a relatively new battery (2 years) - it's not the original battery I bought with my Mac. But I guess it's all moot now, because "Replace Soon" has once again reared it's ugly head. I plan to just keep it plugged in until I can afford a new battery (could be a looong time, those suckers are expensive) but it's still odd that the battery is showing as being fully charged, but the red light is on the charger when it should be green. Replace both?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if it makes a difference, but this is a relatively new battery (2 years) - it's not the original battery I bought with my Mac.

- Where did you get this battery?
- Was it a brand new battery?
- Do you operate your computer on battery power almost 100% of the time?

Accumulating 1450 battery charge cycles in just 2 years is an awful awful lot!

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
- Where did you get this battery?
- Was it a brand new battery?
- Do you operate your computer on battery power almost 100% of the time?

Accumulating 1450 battery charge cycles in just 2 years is an awful awful lot!

- Nick

Hmmm. Well, I got a free replacement battery from the Apple Store because my original battery expanded in my computer and they told me it was defective and might burst. I guess I do use the battery a lot only because I work at home and I kind of take my computer from room to room. Until i can afford a new battery, I've invested in some 20 ft. extension cords so I can move around and stay plugged in. Lesson learned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I do use the battery a lot only because I work at home and I kind of take my computer from room to room. Until i can afford a new battery, I've invested in some 20 ft. extension cords so I can move around and stay plugged in. Lesson learned.

Folks use their notebook computers differently. But to me…if you're at home & near an electrical outlet…plug in. There's really no need to accumulate battery cycles unnecessarily.

Why do you need a 20 foot extension cord? Just take the mag-safe charger with you from room to room…or purchase a 2nd one for use in a 2nd room. Mag-safe chargers are less expensive than batteries.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.