Conflicted Switcher

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
As a web designer isn't nice to have screen real estate cause you can design for different resolutions.

That's really the only advantage of the MBP for a web designer, that I can see up front. Try to avoid glossy screen though, it's not good for design.

I'm very happy with my 13" MB for design. I just dropped close to 300 dollars on upgrades. 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD and other accessories. Fun times. ^-^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Bottom line is, for what you're going to need, it's going to end up costing more than 3G. Maybe 4G, because it's another 100 per Gig of ram. Plus software, plus maxing HD and all that like you said you wanted. MBP is expensive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed with Zoolook on all his points.

As far as the 17" vs. 15" debate, I would say this - you're likely looking at a notebook instead of a desktop because portability is a priority. If that's so, in my opinion, there is a significant difference in overall bulk in a 17" laptop, with very little benefit in screen real estate. As I've owned 17" laptops in the past, I can tell you that when you have a fully loaded notebook bag, every little bit of extra weight and size you can reduce will be of great benefit.

I would compare the two screen sizes side by side. If you notice a huge difference to your eyes, go with the 17". If it's negligible, I don't think you'll regret the 15". You can always hook up an external display if you're desk bound. Unfortunately, once you go with a 17", there's no making it smaller for those times you want to carry it around. Just my $0.02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
I recently purchased my MBP and I must say that I haven't looked back since. In my office, I have a Windows PC, but I just bring my MBP to work b/c I'd rather work on this.

I bought the cheapest 15" MBP at my (old) university and I just upgraded the ram with Crucial for only $100 extra. And honestly, I love having 4gb of ram. I have never had any issues with it (Crucial's quality is outstanding).

However, for you, because there are so many rumors circulating about a new release (possibly within the next week, Sept 14th), like everyone else is suggesting, I say you wait. You'll still receive the education discount but just without iPod (which is negligible unless you really need one, however I LOVE mine). Furthermore, because you've mentioned that you're on a budget, nix the Time Capsule (waste of money, imo) and just get an external HDD (like many have mentioned. I bought a Western Digital My Passport. It's small, high capacity (320b), faster (USB 2.0), and half the price of the TC. For video editing and other 2D applications, you don't need the 512mb of vram. It's overkill (read waste of money).

Stick to your budget, because regardless of what you get, you won't be disappointed. It is a great machine!

Good luck!

Reaction score
This may have been covered already, but I noticed in your original post, you mentioned the Glossy screen. If you are doing graphics design and color matching is important, DO NOT get a glossy screen. Ask any graphic designer or photographer and 95% will tell you to get the Matte screen, the other 5% are wrong. The Glossy screen will give you false saturation and vividness. To the average person it looks "better" but it is not a correct color profile and that is much more important especially if you are getting paid for your work and color matching is a must.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.