Concurrent Multiple profiles in FireFox 2? help!

Reaction score
Hello,
can somebody advise me on how I can run two different profiles at the same time in FireFox? I want to have 2 firefox icons - one for each profile. I have set up the profiles but I can only use one at a time...

Thanks in advance-
Humongous

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Um.... huh. Maybe duplicate firefox.app? Run one of them and use the first profile. Then run the copy and use the second profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
giulio's idea works.
But you also need to do the following:

Type this in Terminal:

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -p

(assuming that your Firefox is in the Applications folder, of course)

This will open the Profile Manager.
Uncheck "Don't ask at startup"
and open any profile.

Now, whenever you open a copy of Firefox, it will ask you to choose a profile.

And if you want to open another profile, open the 2nd copy of Firefox and choose the other profile.

I actually also use multiple profiles in Firefox (on both Windows and Mac OS X),
but I never thought of trying this out on Mac OS X,
because I got used to the fact that the Windows version of Firefox does not allow more than 1 instance of itself (even if it's 2 copies).
But this does work on Mac OS X, because this restriction does not exist in the Mac version of Firefox.

note:
Though I tried it out and it works, you never know if there could be "side effects" to this.
I'd recommend making a backup copy of your profile folders or at the very least, the bookmarks.html files of each profile.

Reaction score
Type this in Terminal:

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -p
That wouldn't work on my machine. Terminal says it cannot execute it. Maybe it depends on the Firefox version. On my Mac, 2.0.0.3's profile shows up when "-p" is in full:

/Applications/firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -profilemanager

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^--

Hmm... maybe -p was just my imagination then.

-p and -profilemanager work interchangeably in the Windows version
so I just assumed it was the same with the Mac OS X version.

I actually just copy-pasted the line into Terminal (too lazy =P ) so I'm not even sure which one it was exactly, though probably -profilemanager.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I skipped that step because he said he already set up multiple profiles.
People wonder why firefox still allows for profiles, when OSes allow user swtching. A valid arguement, but I do use multiple FF profiles as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"I skipped that step because he said he already set up multiple profiles."

Yes, but his Firefox might be set to "open the profile from last time," in which case the second copy of Firefox won't be able to open, since it would attempt to open the same profile as the first copy.

"People wonder why Firefox still allows for profiles, when OSes allow user switching. A valid argument, but I do use multiple FF profiles as well!"

Yeah, I'm actually pretty glad that Firefox allows multiple profiles in the same logon/user account.
(note: You can also set up multiple profiles for SeaMonkey, since it's more or less the same thing as Firefox.)

This is much better than other browsers' way of doing it, i.e., 1 user account = 1 browser profile only.

That's pretty impractical. I share my computer with other people, so it would be very annoying to keep switching user account just to check emails.

Reaction score
Found a solution

I wrote this apple script package, that opens up Firefox's profile manager which then allows me to select the profile that I want use. I can even select to open 2 different profiles at the same time. I just run the script instead of opening Firefox directly.

View attachment Firefox Profile Manager.zip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If the OP goes to Firefox's website he/she will get the answer. Having the profile manger display on startup every time is probably the easiest way to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.