Command F no longer working in Safari

Reaction score
Command + F no longer works in Safari.
When I press this key combination it opens a search in the Finder instead.
I’ve tried the usual (deleting Safari Preferences, Safari caches, etc.), nothing works.

When I create a New User, the problem is gone. So it’s something in my personal user account. But what could it be?

I’m on Yosemite 10.10.1 (clean install a week ago) and I use Safari 8.0.2.

René

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is going to sound like a stupid question but are you sure you are still in Safari when you try the command? The behavior you describe is exactly what would happen if the Finder is actually the active program but there are no active windows visible. The Safari window is still visible giving the appearance that Safari is the active window.,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
command f no longer works in maverick and yosemite they removed it

Sorry this is to put it bluntly dead wrong. I'm using the current version of Yosemite (10.10.1) and current version of Safari. The command F search feature still works. I just used it in this thread and have used it several times today.

If this function had been removed it would not work when the OP created a new user.

@OP The fact that the command works in the new account suggests that something in your current account is contributing to the problem. I'll see if I can find more info.

Edit: OP Do you have Glims installed? I just saw something suggesting it may be the culprit. This thread is for Mavericks but it might be worth looking into.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@johnodd4 Please accept my apology if the post above seems rude. Certainly not what I intended at all. After posting I realized that the post could be taken as directed at you personally. That certainly wasn't my intention.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry this is to put it bluntly dead wrong. I'm using the current version of Yosemite (10.10.1) and current version of Safari. The command F search feature still works. I just used it in this thread and have used it several times today.

If this function had been removed it would not work when the OP created a new user.

@OP The fact that the command works in the new account suggests that something in your current account is contributing to the problem. I'll see if I can find more info.

Edit: OP Do you have Glims installed? I just saw something suggesting it may be the culprit. This thread is for Mavericks but it might be worth looking into.
I don't have Glims. The only recent add-on to my system was XtraFinder, but I uninstalled it and it made no difference.
It's got to be something in one of the Libraries, but what?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that you have deleted the Safari preferences. Could you humor me and try that again using the steps below. It's a shot in the dark but simple enough.

1. Quit Safari if it is running
2. Delete the Safari preference file as you did before.
3. Reboot the computer. Logging out and back in may accomplish the same thing in this case but lets restart to be sure.

Here's my reasoning for this procedure. Somewhere in the early stages of the transition to Yosemite I saw a suggestion that some preferences are cached in Yosemite and it may take a while for changes to take effect. I don't think that applies in this case but worth a shot.

BTW What extensions do you have installed? The thread about Glims made me wonder if an extension is the cause of the problem. Does turning the extensions off solve the problem?

OP
D
Reaction score
It didn't work.
For good measure I used Onyx to clean all the caches I could think of. No difference.

My extensions (WOT, Facebook Cleaner, and Dashlane) are all off.

Reaction score
I am on safari yosemite 10.10.2 and safari 8.0.

i am a developer account holder all it does is bring up a search command no longer does it bring up the window with the website information like it used to because apple removed that feature because people where using it for piracy to download movies via youtube using the html download link trick

Reaction score
and by the way guys safari 8.0.2 is beta software so you might want to read this a little more closely safari 8.0.2 was a beta seed and it has worse issues then a swiss car.

C

chas_m

johnodd: please stop with the misinformation.

As you can clearly see in the screenshot provided, you are incorrect. I am using Safari 8.0.3 in Yosemite and there, highlighted for your convenience, is the web page search invoked by using command-f. I have used this command almost daily in my work since well before Mavericks, and there is no version of Safari I have used (ie all of them) that does not have this function, as my daily work routine would be severely impacted by its absence so as to cause me to notice it. Simply put, here is the proof. You are mistaken.

johnodd-is-wrong-see.png

Reaction score
In early versions of safari there wasn't a search bar there was a window that displayed what html's where being loaded this was in tiger leopard as well as snow leopard before they updated it.

there are different command f options depending on version they where not looking for search they where looking for the html window.

C

chas_m

No. Sorry, no.

Command-f, invoked in Safari, has always brought up a web page search.

Here it is being used on the Mavericks version of Safari:

Safari-Cmd-F-search-page.jpeg

And here's an Apple support article explicitly describing how to use command-f to search for words on a web page in Mavericks (with illustration):

Mac Basics: Browse the web with Safari 7 in Mavericks - Apple Support

Here it is being used in an article explaining command-f in Safari from 2011, so probably Lion or Snow Leopard:

command-f-01.jpg

Here it is being used to search the HTML on a web page, again from 2011:

flickr-view-source-for-img-src-pm.png

Here it is being employed in a screenshot from Safari 3.0 (that would be June of 2007):

safari2.jpg

You will note that in every single instance, the web search appears in the exact same place, and in the accompanying articles that go with these pictures, the feature is invoked using command-f. From 2007 to the present day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
When I create a New User, the problem is gone. So it’s something in my personal user account. But what could it be?

Beat your brains out searching for the cause, probably without doing so. Or, migrate your files to the unaffected new account, and get some sleep. Your choice.

C

chas_m

You have another program that works at startup and needs command-f for its own purposes, I'd wager.

Start up in Safe Mode and see if the problem disappears. If so, then I'm correct.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and by the way guys safari 8.0.2 is beta software so you might want to read this a little more closely safari 8.0.2 was a beta seed and it has worse issues then a swiss car.

What issues are you referring to? I'm using that version as we speak. Have been since it was released and haven't had any problems other than some pages on this forum have to be loaded using the reload command. That's not specific to this version though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Spot on chas! Always has been and still is there!

OP
D
Reaction score
I ended up trashing all the apple preferences and recreating them from scratch.
Problem solved.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.