• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Comcast

K

kjellquist

We are paying just under $50 a month. Our basic installation (free) was about the same as yours. They just plug it all in and leave. That's actually what I wanted...I'm not a huge fan of service people in and out of my house and the guy was tracking dirt all over the rugs! haha! I just followed the steps and setup everything myself with no problems. I didn't need to pay extra for some tech to do that.

We also save a few dollars a month because we have digital cable through the same company.

T

TylerMoney

I have verizon wireless DSL. I haven't had any problems, and have yet to have to talk to any service people to fix anything. But it can be fairly slow aat times......then again...I'm spliting a $35 bill with five people....so I could care less...pluss, we want nothing to do with comcast...which is the only cable internet here that is available. Lots of DSL though....or two...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have Comcast Cable. I went to the local office and picked up the install kit myself and hooked it up in like 5 minutes. They wanted to charge something like 20 bucks to have some schmo come out and attach a coax cable to the modem.. :confused:

Anyway, I have not had any problems with them in PA. I have had it for almost 2 years now. I get anywhere betweem 2.5 mbps and 3.0 mbps down on a consistent basis, so I really have no complaints
:)

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I'm sure their service is awesome, their personel are terrible.

Anyways :) Good News. They're comming in two days (Thursday) to install my Cable TV and my CABLE INTERNET!!!! w00t!!! they upped the speed as well, it's now:
4.2mbps/dl and sounded like she said 3mbps/ul but that seems kind of high. I'll ask again.

I'm very excited.

Also, Tomorrow is my birthday :) I'll be 18, big year there.

Anyways.

D

dziner

Happy birthday sKaD! I have Comcast here in PA too and can't really complain about speed. Actually I think Comcast in Harrisburg has some sort of high-speed lines because my cable connection is soooo much faster than my girlfriend's cable connection in Philly. I don't think I get a discount because I also have cable TV through Comcast though. Actually, I've been considering dropping the cable tv because it's too **** expensive for the few channels I watch.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
dziner said:
Happy birthday sKaD! I have Comcast here in PA too and can't really complain about speed. Actually I think Comcast in Harrisburg has some sort of high-speed lines because my cable connection is soooo much faster than my girlfriend's cable connection in Philly. I don't think I get a discount because I also have cable TV through Comcast though. Actually, I've been considering dropping the cable tv because it's too **** expensive for the few channels I watch.

Hey, thanks :)

The Cable TV I'm going to be getting something like 15 channels. It's $9.99/mo

Basically I think just cable alone here is about $60
But with the $10/mo CableTV it brings down the monthly payment to $45/mo w/ modem rental

And it drops the installation charge as well :D

D

dziner

I'll have to look at the channel line-up again. The things I watch most often are Discovery, TLC, History Channel, Comedy Central, and USA. All of which I'm pretty sure are not included in the basic cable package. It would be so nice if you could pick and choose what stations you want and pay accordingly.

I'm looking at getting a Sony Ericcson T616 cell phone and getting rid of my land line. That bumps my phone bill up to $40/month instead of $22 but if I ditch my cable TV it shouldn't be so bad. The T616 has bluetooth so I look forward to some enjoyment with using that with my Mac. I just wish I could have an internal Bluetooth adapter instead of the USB D-Link Bluetooth adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
sKaD said:
Hey, thanks :)

The Cable TV I'm going to be getting something like 15 channels. It's $9.99/mo

Basically I think just cable alone here is about $60
But with the $10/mo CableTV it brings down the monthly payment to $45/mo w/ modem rental

And it drops the installation charge as well :D
Happy birthday sKaD! I like the deal your gettng! I can get Comcast here to and I'm ready to move up, I have three sets of movies but they still want 49/month for cable modem! :rolleyes: --maybe if I show them what you got!
;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.