Comcast and Airport Extreme

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the airport extreme I just bought. I'm trying to use it to make a wireless network so that I can spread my internet around my house.

Thing is I cant get it to work. I'm using automatic dhcp to configure it and it assigns an IP and Subnet that aren't the same as if my modem is plugged directly into my Ethernet port.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried doing it the first way where it configures automatically and I've tried entering the IP and Subnet that it gives me with direct connection and it sits there and shows me a green light but it woult connect to the internet.

Seems like other people have had this problem but I don't have time right now to search though all the posts. If anyone could direct me to them or simply tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Have you turned the modem completely off for a few moments and then back on (removing the battery if there is one)? The modem will only talk to the first device it sees, so if you plug a new router/system in, it won't give it an IP address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.