coffee/milk on my macbook pro. Is it over? I need your diagnosis

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The chances that the problem is just the power button (or 1 key on the keyboard)...is pretty slim. The problem is most likely the logic board. Thus going thru the hassle & expense of replacing the keyboard to test things might be too much. But of course this depends on you...and how much time & money you want to spend on troubleshooting.

As I've suggested multiple times in this thread...this situation (unfortunately) is no different then many of the stories in the 27 page Mac-Forums liquid spill thread. If you went to an Apple Store...they're going to tell you the computer needs a replacement logic board. As is the same with many of the laptops in the liquid spill thread.

Very sorry that this happened. But got to face the facts...liquids + laptops don't mix. And when this does happen...very few laptops/notebooks survive unscathed.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 7,1 2.4 GHz, 2 GB ram
Like I said I already bought a replacement. Another MacBook Pro.

Replacing a keyboard costs £15, not so bad. It would all be easier if there were instruments to see if the motherboard was dead or not. I wonder if I take it to a repair shop, if they have tools to find out.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to say. Does the fact that attaching the charger cable the green light turns on, is a sign of anything?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said I already bought a replacement. Another MacBook Pro.

Replacing a keyboard costs £15, not so bad. It would all be easier if there were instruments to see if the motherboard was dead or not. I wonder if I take it to a repair shop, if they have tools to find out.

Ok good deal. If a replacement keyboard is only £15...give it a shot...never know. Always great to try everything possible if it makes sense (usually cost is the deterrent).

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to say. Does the fact that attaching the charger cable the green light turns on, is a sign of anything?

The charger cable usually plugs into the I/O board you mentioned earlier. It may simply mean that that I/O board and battery charging system are ok...but the logic board can still be bad.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought...before buying and replacing components randomly...If I bring the motherboard to a repair centre, would they be able to tell if it's dead or not? (Hopefully for free or inexpensively). In that case I could try with a new keyboard, otherwise the case is closed.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought...before buying and replacing components randomly...If I bring the motherboard to a repair centre, would they be able to tell if it's dead or not? (Hopefully for free or inexpensively). In that case I could try with a new keyboard, otherwise the case is closed.

I could be wrong...but I don't think that the average repair center has the resources to test a logic board by itself. The average repair center usually wants the computer to be intact...and they will test from there. If you were referring to the Apple Store...they can usually test the computer...but I think that it needs to at least power on to test it.

Believe me...once you tell just about any honest & reputable repair person that liquid was spilled on the computer & now it doesn't work...they should tell you straight-away that you're looking at a large repair bill (including the Apple Store).

Some places will say...leave it with us & we'll take a look at it. If this is the case...make sure they agree that you will not be charged for any initial troubleshooting they do. Otherwise you may end up with a dead computer + an unecessary troubleshooting bill.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Otherwise you may end up with a dead computer + an unecessary troubleshooting bill.

What Nick said above. And this is the reason why you would want to bring the entire machine intact to an Apple Store genius and let them give you an estimate of repairs. Apple Stores do not charge for diagnostics while third party repairers and even authorized Apple repair centers will charge you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.