Closing lid options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
I want to make my powerbook so that when I shut the lid, it just turns off hte screen and doesnt go on standby. Ive had a look through sys pref's and not found anything. anyone know how to make this happen ?

Powerbook G4, OSX 10.4.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There is no included feature that allows you to do this. Apple has decided that whenever you close the lid, the computer will go to sleep and there are is no system preference to change it.

However, I did some searching around and found a little program that lets you change the setting. Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with 10.4.8+ so posting the link would be useless for you. Though I'll admit that I haven't checked that particular site in a while (don't have the link handy, so can't check right now) but it's possible the author may have updated the software to make it work on 10.4.8/9

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
Dude, if you could find that link that would be awesome :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
To use the computer while closed, just plug in an external mouse and display and click.

To turn the display off while the computer is still on, turn the brightness down to zero.

To pack up and carry the computer around without shutting it down...well, that's probably not the best idea.

Reaction score
Be carefull.. with the screen closed your comp might over heat!

Reaction score

it might, but chances are it won't.
laptops only overheat when you are doing something intensive on it.. or if your in an extremly warm room.
There are "exhaust" slots on the sides (and bottom) of the laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.