Clearing an old iMac for disposal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I am now ready to shut down/clean out and dispose our old 2009 iMac 21 ½ runing High Sierra. It is synched with our iMac M1 24 therefore if I delete the emails from the old they are going the vanish from both mahines. There has to be a way to do this, so can anyone help me do it please. That's working the the principle of keeping the email content intact.

I've been quicker than usual and it's only taken me about 18 months to get to this point :oops:. Part of it being trying to getThe Boss to use the new and not the old Mac 'onest.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
On the Mac you are disposing of, sign out of your Apple ID that is associated with that Mac. This will not affect your other Apple Devices.

In fact, you need to do rather more than just that if your are selling or giving away that Mac.

See here:

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta for the link Ian. I have printed it off.

At the moment I have a 2TB SSHD in it instead of the original HDD. I think that it will be replaced by a smaller spinny HDD. So that should sort out any security problems. It's running H Sierra at the moment and I already have an HDD with that on. It's an external HDD so I'm wondering if I wil be able to take it out of the case and fit it?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John,

I'm, not into DIY things the way you are and I can't imagine myself taking bits out of computers. There are plenty of members here with such skills, so hopefully that part of your question can be solved.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
ifixit.com is a great place to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
It is synched with our iMac M1 24 therefore if I delete the emails from the old they are going the vanish from both mahines. There has to be a way to do this, so can anyone help me do it please.
Don't delete the emails, delete the accounts, the emails if IMAP will remain intact on the server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.