CleanMyMac

Reaction score
Has anyone had any difficulties running CleanMyMac they'd like to mention? I used to hear complaints in the past but wondered if these had been sorted out. Also does it give us some sort of control over what it throws out? Thought I might try it on my High Siera.
Regards Paul

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Paul

Oh please, please, get rid of CleanMyMac.

Or if you don't have it, don't get it.

Macs are free from all viruses in the wild and so no Anti-virus needed. As regards "cleaners", the only one we recommend is OnyX which can be downloaded from here: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Make sure it is for your current Operating System. If you upgrade, you will need the version for that OS.

Download, install, and choose the Automation tab, keep the defaults and run it. In practice, this only needs to be rum every month or two.

Macs pretty well look after themselves.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Steer well clear of CleanMyMac. It is no good.
As Ian said, Onyx is doing a great job.

Cheers ... McBie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also does it give us some sort of control over what it throws out? Thought I might try it on my High Siera.

As Mac "cleanup" utilities go, I won't be quite as rough on it as some of the other posts here, but you do have to be super careful with it, just as most others.

I don't know if it has improved its control as to what it might trash, and do you know for example what applications you have that can or can't tolerate having their localization/language folders removed???

I have no idea of your OS X experience but at least it has a free trial version and I have no idea how it behaves or its "cleaning" results in High Siera, so maybe give it a pass.

Or course you can read some other user comments here:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30017/cleanmymac
and some of its features here:
https://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

EDIT:
YIKES!!! I just noticed his shareware CleanMyMac would cost me: total is CA$53.07 (CDN) from his home site!!! Ouch!!

Maybe use most parts of it in its "free mode" at most if it can still work that way.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not for $39.95 US either! Unnecessary and known to be overzealous in its cleaning. Stay away from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Apple Macbook Air
I agree to all others suggestion, quit using or don't use CleanMyMac. If you use CleanMyMac and have issues, there is a possibility CMM is the one causing them. Also, if you don’t have problems on your mac, you don’t need to use CleanMyMac for it will just slow down your computer.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Paul

Oh please, please, get rid of CleanMyMac.

Or if you don't have it, don't get it.

Macs are free from all viruses in the wild and so no Anti-virus needed. As regards "cleaners", the only one we recommend is OnyX which can be downloaded from here: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Make sure it is for your current Operating System. If you upgrade, you will need the version for that OS.

Download, install, and choose the Automation tab, keep the defaults and run it. In practice, this only needs to be rum every month or two.

Macs pretty well look after themselves.

Ian

Thanks Ian and all the others. Quite a response! I detect some strong feeling and it looks like it hasn't improved very much. I'll try the OnyX you recommend. I don't actually want it for clearing out viruses, just for old rubbish that hasn't been used for twenty years or so.
Much obliged for your kind advice. Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try the OnyX you recommend. I don't actually want it for clearing out viruses, just for old rubbish that hasn't been used for twenty years or so.
Much obliged for your kind advice. Paul

Be aware that running Onyx can do some unwanted and undesirable cleaning if one starts messing about with its options, and it really isn't designed for clearing out old clutter either, but good old fashioned "manual housekeeping" is the best for that, just like cleaning out one's attic, basement or garage.

Or just move all your stuff and data to a backup storage drive, then you can be a bit more ruthless when Trashing as you'll have a copy if and when you might need it.

PS: Just because some data is twenty years old or so, you may want to just archive it somewhere, which is about the same as just having a copy somewhere.

PPS: Maybe have a look and read here:
Using the Mac's Hidden Archive Utility to Control Compression
The Archive Utility Offers a Wide Array of Options

https://www.lifewire.com/control-compression-using-mac-hidden-archive-utility-2260851

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that OnyX is perfectly safe as long as you allow it to operate in "auto" mode. There are special options that can be invoked with OnyX which can cause problems for you if you do not know what they are or what they do. However, OnyX clearly warns you when you invoke one of those options. Many of us have been using OnyX for years without any problems whatsoever. Besides all that, it's free whereas CleanMyMac is not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Ian and all the others. Quite a response! I detect some strong feeling and it looks like it hasn't improved very much.

Part of the strong feelings & response level...is that this topic can come up fairly frequently...so the answer is "already-in-the-can" so to speak.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
… … … If you use CleanMyMac and have issues, there is a possibility CMM is the one causing them. Also, if you don’t have problems on your mac, you don’t need to use CleanMyMac for it will just slow down your computer.

I don't know if anything has changed in any later version from when I used to use it many years ago, but CMM didn't use any background processes or extra resources except when opened.

Just saying and in defense of CleanMyMac for those who do use it.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, it's not that it runs in the background or takes up resources, it is that CMM was WAY too aggressive and deleted essential files, leading to issues. And it's unnecessary, as the functions it provides that are useful are all available in OnyX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, it's not that it runs in the background or takes up resources, it is that CMM was WAY too aggressive and deleted essential files, leading to issues.

Thanks Bob, but I was just really making a reply to what I would consider an unsupported posted statement:
… you don’t need to use CleanMyMac for it will just slow down your computer.

But as I said, maybe something changed in a later CMM versions.

I agree with you and most of the other comments, especially at the BIG price being charged for the utility. OUCH!!! Save your money I'd say.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.