"Cleaning" a MBP

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry, not sure what you mean by the iPhoto menu? In iPhotos I can't find this command under any of the menus along the top???

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which version of iPhoto are you using? The iPhoto menu is right next to the Apple menu. The Empty Trash option is is in that menu.

OP
C
Reaction score
Using iPhoto 1.5
In the PHOTOS menu I've got:
About Photos
Preferences
Print product store account
Services
Hide Photos
Hide others
Quit Photos

Nothing about emptying trash ???

OP
C
Reaction score
Ah, I had to go to "Albums" and in there is the recently deleted folder. I deleted that, over 1000 items but still the Disc Utility is showing I have over100Gb of photos???

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@cheddar-caveman

I'm really repeating what Slydude has said, but in a slightly different way, maybe.

In iPhoto, deleting a picture puts it into iPhoto's own Trash. It's a safeguard. Mistakes are made by the best of us.

Now, I'm doing this from memory because I moved on to Photos app a while ago; but I recall that in iPhoto, on the left with all the headings, was the word "Trash". This is the iPhoto Trash. Right clicking on it brought up the "Delete Trash" option.

Click on delete. This moves all the deleted images to the Mac's Trash. Again another safeguard.

Now go into the Mac's Trash and delete - all gone. Oh, by the way, if you're talking mega-GBs of data, that can take some time.

Sometimes, and I don't know why, to see the change in "Disk Utility" or "About This Mac", you need to reboot the Mac.

Keep coming back till we sort this out; you're always welcome.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry - looks like I'm actually using "PHOTOS"! Under the "About PHOTOS" Tab I get:
Version 1.5 (370.42.0)
Digital Camera RAW 6.20 (856)
Digital Camera RAW Support 6200 (233)

I have now restarted the MBP but I still have the 110Gb of photos somewhere?
Many thanks for the patience.

Ah, just opened "Finder" and under "Pictures" tab there are loads of stuff, videos and photos. So where are all these if not in PHOTOS? iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Ah, just opened "Finder" and under "Pictures" tab there are loads of stuff, videos and photos. So where are all these if not in PHOTOS? iCloud?

No. Those are on your HDD. They are just grouped by Finder, based on their filetype. .png, .jpg, .bmp, .gif etc are all grouped under the heading.

To find out where they are right click on one and select Get Info.

They could be screenshots, downloads, literally anything that was not transferred to your Mac from your phone.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ah. Right; things are slightly different in the Photos app.

You select your photos and delete — (Cmd + Backspace or Right Click & choose Delete, from the options)

As before, there is a safeguard. The deleted images can be found on the left under "Recently Deleted" where they will stay for 30 days the they're gone (behaves like iOS in this regard).

You can click on "Recently Deleted", select all the images; right click — options include "Restore" or "Delete". In this case "Delete" means for good.

As I said, large numbers of photos take a while.

Next point you mentioned: maybe your photos are all over the place, not just in Photos. They are where Finder says they are and can be deleted as if you were deleting any other files; BUT make sure you backed these up too before you delete. In this case Delete puts them in the Mac's Trash (safeguard) and permanent deletion is from there.

Any help?

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Job done! Backed up all the images from the "pictures" folder, deleted them from my HD and then emptied the trash.
Result - 187Gb available disc space! I dare that spinning ball to come back!!!
Many thanks guys, made me do some long overdue cleaning!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great stuff, cheddar-caveman. Good on you.

Always happy to hear from you.

Ian

Reaction score
Personally, I'd get rid of Mac Keeper entirely. If you are running Onyx and Disk Utility periodically that's probably enough.

Hi to all of you!
The comment of Slydude make me wonder and thinking about those tools a bit more in depth.

I have troubles with my MacBookAir from time to time (some applications behave strange, need to restart, etc.) and I am looking for a solution such as Cocktail, MacKeeper, Onyx, etc.

I came across the Onyx twice lately but this software is for free and I wonder whether this could be an indication that it might harm more than it helps? I understand that free software is generally preferred but
a) does it really help
b) what is the advantage for the programmer behind this?
c) who has the competence to really judge whether onyx is safe and good - really competent (not using it but looking behind the scenes, browsing the source code or similar)?

I am just concerned by adding a new application which should actually make things better but instead making things worse (without knowing it, of course)..

One more thing... Actually when it comes to DiskUtility what exactly do you mean with "running DiskUtility periodically"? Is it first aid?

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 10.48.58.png

Thanks,
Uwe

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@UweTheSailor

Hi Uwe

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

For a very large number of years, OnyX has been recommended on these forums.

You are wise to be cautious and absolutely correct in thinking that one should not reach out for the nearest "cleaner" whenever you come across a problem.

If you stick to the automation, maintenance & cleaning portions of OnyX & follow the advice given, you will find this a very useful app.

MacKeeper is, frankly, dangerous — not because I say so, but because lots & lots of users have found this out to the point that a class action was brought against the company & it has had to pay out big money.

I personally would only ever use OnyX and avoid the others.

Disk Utility (DU) is native to Macs and is a first option; and yes, First Aid is the function previously referred to. (DU has many other useful functions as well, of course).

Hope this helps. Ask away if you have more queries.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi to all of you!
The comment of Slydude make me wonder and thinking about those tools a bit more in depth.

I have troubles with my MacBookAir from time to time (some applications behave strange, need to restart, etc.) and I am looking for a solution such as Cocktail, MacKeeper, Onyx, etc.

I came across the Onyx twice lately but this software is for free and I wonder whether this could be an indication that it might harm more than it helps? I understand that free software is generally preferred but
a) does it really help
b) what is the advantage for the programmer behind this?
c) who has the competence to really judge whether onyx is safe and good - really competent (not using it but looking behind the scenes, browsing the source code or similar)?

Hi Uwe - just to reinforce Ian's excellent points, Onyx is one of the ONLY 'maintenance' programs recommended on this forum and by many here who have known Apple computers for years and are professional users - in other words, if any app of this genre has a pedigree, then Onyx certainly qualifies.

Now, as recommended, use the standard settings, and if you want Onyx on your computer, then obtain the app only from HERE and BE SURE to download the version that applies to the OS X installed on your machine. Dave :)

Reaction score
Thanks IWT & RadDave for your reply! I have now tried the Onyx SW and installed it as suggested. However I still have questions regarding the DU application. I could not find any other options than "FirstAid", can you, IWT (DU has many other useful functions as well, of course) tell me how to access them?

Here a screenshot of mine:
Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 16.17.29.png

One more question: When MacKeeper has once been installed and removed (deleted from applications folder), is there anything one should do or is to delete that software the grand solution?

Thanks,
Uwe

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again, Uwe,

It all depends on what you want to do.

Open Disk Utility (DU).

As you've seen, it lists all Mounted Drives on the left side. This will include your Hard Disk Drive (HDD), shown as Macintosh HD. Your screenshot demonstrates the space taken up by Apps, Photos and so on. It tells us that you have 132GB free (unused) on your HDD out of a capacity of 250GB.

Now, if you mounted another Drive, say an External HD. And say it's brand new and to be used for backup (BU) - a very essential requirement for all Mac users.

If you click on the EHD to highlight it, you can then click on "Erase" (2 along from First Aid). When you do that, you can format the EHD (you should choose OS X Extended (Journaled) from the options. You can partition the EHD if you so desire. You can unmount it from here. Run First Aid on the EHD.

You could use DU to create a disk image (dmg). There is more.

To give you a real flavour of what DU can do, in much more detail, and with pictures to help, have a read at these:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/el-capitan-disk-utility-3634604/
http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/what-is-disk-utility-the-complete-beginners-guide--mac-27965
http://www.howtogeek.com/212836/how...artition-wipe-repair-restore-and-copy-drives/

Ian

PS Some functions of DU have changed over time. That's why I've given you references that span the years up to and including El Capitan.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should one periodically defrag the HD? Does the First Aid or Onyx do this?

A few tips:

In everyday use, defragmenting the HDD is rarely needed.

Never attempt to defrag a SSD. This will wear it out, possibly damage it. SSDs store & manipulate data differently from spinning/plater drives.

Neither DU nor OnyX can defrag a HDD.

If a very heavy user and/or manipulator of very large files & chunks of data, defrag might well help. In which case you need a dedicated app. I've never need to defrag, but Forum members here often recommend iDefrag, a pay-for app.

Hope these comments help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I would also like to point out that there really is no reason to shut down your Mac. The OS will run processes during non use time to help keep the System healthy. The only thing I do is put my screen saver on before I leave the computer and maybe restart it every few days or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.