Cleaned Printhead on my HP Printer, Now Get an Error

Reaction score
I removed the printhead in my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus to clean it.

I soaked it in isopropyl alcohol, wipe the bottom part of the printhead, used an electric air dryer to dry it out, and left it outside to dry for 14-15 hours.

I put the ink in the cartridges and I get the error "One or more Cartridges appear to be damaged." I saw the cartridge out with a new one, the error goes away. The print head moves as it recalibrates, and in the midst of calibration, it gives me the same error.

I swap it out for the old one I just removed, and the error goes away. The print head moves, it recalibrates, and once again, as it recalibrates, I get the same error.

I was wondering if this is a common issue and if I need to do something as simple as resetting it, or is there something wrong with the printhead now? It is weird because I never have gotten a printhead damaged error, only the printer cartridge.

Reaction score
I removed the printhead in my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus to clean it.

I soaked it in isopropyl alcohol,...
I get the error "One or more Cartridges appear to be damaged."

Did you get the little printed circuit board on the printhead wet when cleaning it? Or, even worse, did you soak it?

Reaction score
Hey @iKokomo,

It's a little belated reply but I just wanna say that you've taken the right steps in cleaning the printhead, but the error could indeed be due to moisture on the little printed circuit board on the printhead. Isopropyl alcohol evaporates quickly but, depending on the conditions, some residue might have been left behind, especially if the circuit board was soaked.

I'd suggest allowing it to dry thoroughly indoors, away from dust and debris, for another 24 hours. Then, try resetting the printer and see if the error persists. If it does, your printhead might unfortunately be damaged.
Well, hope you managed to clean the printer by yourself. If not, try something I've suggested above. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.