ClamXav installed

Reaction score
By the advice of someone here I installed ClamXav as a virus checker or cleaner . Please do not jump me if I may have the wording wrong. The thing was that I was looking for a virus checker and had installed CCleaner and it is not for Macbook Pro and was suggested I use ClamXav . Tonight I ran it and it retrieved 63 files wether infected or not I don't know but it pointed out 63 separate files. Now I am wondering what to do with them? Should I just delete them or just make a folder and move them all to it. Thank you for your help .

M

MacInWin

I would bet that most of those files are emails or attachments to emails that have Windows Viruses in them. All you need to do is let ClamXav quarantine them. I seem to remember that's how it worked. I haven't run ClamXav in a couple of years and I don't have any other A/V software so it may be a different term by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
CCCleaner is a great Windows Utility but get rid of it off your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
ClamXav and CCleaner are two totally different utilities. ClamXav is for malware interception and removal - which you really don't need but if it makes you feel more secure, it is the better choice.

CCleaner is strickly for Windows and is a utility I use regularly on Windows computers. It cleans out old files like temp files, cache files, and empties the recycle bin. It also is a registry cleaner. (Macs do not have a registry.) A useful equivalent for a Mac would be Onyx from Titanium and it is free.

Titanium's Software • Index page

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
CCleaner is strickly for Windows and is a utility I use regularly on Windows computers.

There is also a version for the Mac from the Piriform folks: CCleaner for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OP
F
Reaction score
MacInWin stated ( " I would bet that most of those files are emails or attachments to emails that have Windows Viruses in them. All you need to do is let ClamXav quarantine them. " ) That is exactly what has been done. It quarentained the files and I just closed the application . Thank you ALL for your help . I just did not know what to do with all the files.
Also the files were all from mail.

M

MacInWin

fredconk, you will need to repeat that process no more than once a year. There are no viruses for OS X, so you have no reason to worry or run any A/V software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.