Chrome & Catalina Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27" Late 2013, 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i5, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 500gb ssd, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M
Hi,

I recently updated my iMac 27" late 2013 to Catalina. I have for many years preferred to use Google Chrome as my
browser of choice. However, since updating to the latest os I have issues. Namely, "Random Crashes", I get the usual "restore Pages" option
but if I select it, it will inevitably crash. I have tried updating Chrome, uninstalling and reinstalling but to no effect.
Any assistance would be most welcome.:(:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
There have been lots of reports of instability using Crome with Catalina. It may be worth using an alternative browser until Chrome release an update.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Chrome & Catalina Issues

Interesting you say that because I made Safari my default again to check out the new version but occasionally I use Firefox due to bookmarks or whatever. I no longer use Google Chrome at all. It seems to have become a little glitchy, I have not changed any of its settings and it is the latest version but it now seems slower and less responsive than Safari when it used to be much the same while Vivaldi, which I would use more if there were an iOS version, seems to have gotten faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27" Late 2013, 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i5, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 500gb ssd, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M
There have been lots of reports of instability using Crome with Catalina. It may be worth using an alternative browser until Chrome release an update.

I have reverted back to Safari now as it's a lot more stable, but I find it kind of "clunky" after using Chrome. I know it's far better security wise, just wish the user experience was more enjoyable.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it's Apple wanting us to use Safari as our daily driver??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've been using Chrome (heavily) for many years and did the Catalina upgrade on day one and have had no issues at all. I'm running Chrome Version 77.0.3865.120.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I'm using the same version as Raz0rEdge, but I only use Chrome for streaming Netflix, or Amazon Prime video, with no issues. What is your typical browser usage? Windows or tabs quantities?

For me I use Safari, for 98% of my browsing where I have 15 pinned tabs and usually three or more tabs open as well. I only log out, shutdown or restart once a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I made Safari my default again to check out the new version but occasionally I use Firefox due to bookmarks or whatever

Slightly off topic but I tend to use Firefox as my default browser. However I have done some basic checks with the new Safari and find it better/quicker than Firefox so I might change back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No problems with Chrome here also. My current version is 77.0.3865.120.

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently updated my iMac 27" late 2013 to Catalina. I have for many years preferred to use Google Chrome as my
browser of choice. ...
Any assistance would be most welcome.:(:(

Chrome is a great browser. The huge problem with it is that it is full of Google spyware. (That's how Google makes their money, gathering information about users and then selling it. They make no attempt to hide this as their business model. That's why so many of their products are free.)

The good news is that Chrome is built on code that is open source (freely useable by anyone) called Chromium. There is a new, free browser called Brave that is based on Chromium, but it strips out all of Google's spyware and also adds a bunch of really nice security features, such as ad-blocking built-in. This might be the perfect opportunity for you to switch to a better, more secure browser. Brave is FAST, and really nice!

Brave browser (free)
Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser

Here is a fascinating article about the Internet and privacy:
Restore Privacy | Your online privacy resource center

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am persevering with Safari, AdGuard for Safari and DuckDuckGo as my search engine and really I think my old reservations about Safari were based on old versions.
I have now removed everything Google from my MBP including Chrome, Google Drive and Photo Sync. It's was big job but worth it in my opinion.
I still have Firefox but use it less and less. I also have Vivaldi which has specific features not found in any other browser and would seriously thing of making it my default if it had an iOS version.
As it is I am now using Safari as default on my portable devices as well and I must say the syncing between my MBP and iPhone works better than Chrome ever did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.