Choppy Flash videos in Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay.. So basically, if I'm viewing Flash vids off the Net, mainly YouTube, when Safari is not in focus, the videos are watchable, but are noticably choppy.. When I have Safari in focus, they play normal "frame rate" I guess..

Any one else have this issue? I've tried reinstalling Flash Player but it's still doing it.

I've tried this in Firefox, and it's fine.. Just Safari.. Cache/cookies emptied, etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This is a known issue with Safari. More recent builds of Webkit have fixed it. Until an updated Safari using a newer Webkit build is released, you'll just have to use a different browser if you want smooth playback while a different window is the active one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
What's your internet connection? It might have something to do with watching the videos..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's not his connection. MY connection here is so fast I can watch 5 HD movies all at the same time and it does what he is talking about.

Discerptor is correct. If a Safari window is the active window, videos are smooth, but go to another window and it jerks. Every Mac I have used has done this. It does not bother me in the least as when I watch a video I want it the main active window otherwise why watch it?

I have actually seen the same choppiness on VERY FAST windows machines when the browser is not the highlighted window.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Thanks for the info guys.. the only thing is, on my G4 TiBook, it doesn't do this.. Which is kinda weird.. Oh well, it's not like YouTube videos are really all that important..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Then there's always WebKit if you're that attached to Safari. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.