choose start up folder

D

d4rklit3

being a native PC user and making a grave error in just copying the OS9 system folder to the Mac Harddrive with OS x.3 installed thinking i can have classic mode I realised that i just ****ed the computer up because i told it to boot from OS 9. Now it just freezes and doesnt even know the OS X.3 even exists. I am wondering how to select the boot folder that OS x.3 resides in from startup. Ive tried pressing Option and it just shows me the Hard Drive and if i try to start from that it attempts to go to OS 9, which locks up. A breif history.. I was using Norton System Works Disk Doctor and that worked out and cleaned out my drive. than i went to speed disk, and after realizing that it would still take forever to defrag the HD i cancelled it and tried rebooting. So now i have a fake OS 9 trying to boot wichi doesnt work and i cant get OS X to start. please help me.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You have not mess your system up like you think. First under OS X you can install OS 9 later, but to be able to boot from OS 9 you need to have two thnings. The first the system must be able to boot to OS 9 and second when you installed OS X 10.3.3 you needed to install the OS 9 hard disk drivers.

Now to your problem. If you boot up your system and press and hold the option key, I beleive you will get a boot list. If I remember correctly tab to the one you want then press return. You can also try holding down the X key on reboot.

OP
D

d4rklit3

rman said:
You have not mess your system up like you think. First under OS X you can install OS 9 later, but to be able to boot from OS 9 you need to have two thnings. The first the system must be able to boot to OS 9 and second when you installed OS X 10.3.3 you needed to install the OS 9 hard disk drivers.

Now to your problem. If you boot up your system and press and hold the option key, I beleive you will get a boot list. If I remember correctly tab to the one you want then press return. You can also try holding down the X key on reboot.

i have hit the X key and it still trys to go to OS 9.. and when i hit option key it only gives me one option and thats the one hard drive with all the systems on it. but it goes automatically to OS 9 either way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
I had similar problem on one of eMac700s. classic didnt work, then i deleated classic and reinstalled it. it didn help eather. I tried to reboot in os 9 and there you go! same as you are saying. it just stuck on os9. only thing that worked out for me was to boot from os X CD and erase the disc completely with disk utility, repared (there was something wrong with the HD) it and reinstalled both X and 9 systems. now it works fine. ofcourse its last thing you do, couse you will loose all data, but if nothing else helps try this.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Can you you boot from an OS 9 CDROM?

If you can maybe you can change the start drive to the OS X drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.