.cheap g5.

E

.emo.

.where besides ebay can i get cheaper g5s then macmall apple.com etc.im looking for a dual 2ghz.would prefer 1gb ram but 512 is fine.any ideas?

OP
A

applebook

Please don't put anything less than 1Gb of Ram on a G5. It ruins the whole purpose of having a PowerMac. It's sort of like putting a 4K rev limiter on a Ferrari.

The cheapest place to get a Dual 2GHz is probably directly from Apple if you're a developer or a student/ faculty member. If not, then eBay is your other thriftiest bet. It never hurts to check the local classifieds, too.

OP
E

.emo.

applebook said:
Please don't put anything less than 1Gb of Ram on a G5. It ruins the whole purpose of having a PowerMac. It's sort of like putting a 4K rev limiter on a Ferrari.

The cheapest place to get a Dual 2GHz is probably directly from Apple if you're a developer or a student/ faculty member. If not, then eBay is your other thriftiest bet. It never hurts to check the local classifieds, too.

.trust me i know i am planning on putting 2gb of ram in i was just saying if anyone knew of a place that would sell them cheap with 512 in it already then ide buy it.

OP
N

nicholas

Well Apple certainly isn't the cheapest place to get them. I think onecall, macmall, or almost any of those other places that are all advertised in the back of macworld magazine, have lower prices than Apple does. Of course, if you're a student or faculty member, then educational prices are the best. Be wary of Ebay. A lot of people have success with them, and just as many have horror stories. I fall into the horror story camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Your best bet is through Apple via a student discount, however, DO NOT upgrade the RAM through Apple. Buy the machine with the default RAM, and install some yourself from www.crucial.com. The reason? Apple's memory costs nearly twice what everybody else's does!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Yeah, the biggest discount you're ever likely to get will be Apple's own Student Discount. You can save your self $300; that's $2,699.00 for a Dual G5 with minimum Ram. I'm from the UK, my Dual 2 GHz with 1 Gig Ram cost me £2,580 which is $4,523, and that was with the discount. $2,699 is a bleedin' bargain compare to what I paid!

If you can find a G5 for more than $300 below Apple's own original asking price anywhere else, be cautious and make sure you look into it thoroughly. You obviously don't want to get ripped off.

As great as Apple are, a lot of their stuff is incredibly overpriced. The G5 IS a beautiful machine, looks and performance wise. But, unfortunately as with most things in life, that's the price you have to pay for power, efficiency, stability, grace and style.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.