Changing the graphic card

Reaction score
Hi all,

it's my first post here so I send to all you a huge hello!!!

I hope you help me with my subject. I am the proud owner of several Apple products. Above all, I like a lot my white iMac from 2006. It's a great machine, working until now, without problems.

But, one month ago, I start to have problems on it, apparently from the graphic card. I have stripes on the screen and the computer is blocked from time to time. It's annoying and imposible to do nothing with it right now. I use it like musical an movie server and my question is:

- It's possible to change the graphic card on a white iMac from late 2006? The graphic card is a ATI Radeon X1600. If it's possible to do it, do you know where I can find some tutorials to made it and where I could buy the new graphic card?

- if the graphic card is integrated in the mother board, do you know if is possible today to buy a new motherboard for this model and where I can find it?

I hope you can help me because like I said, I love this iMac.

Thanks for your help and I hope to help the others with my Apple experience which is huge!

See you around.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can find out if your graphics card is removable by going to www.ifixit.com and look up your model iMac. However, even if the card is removable you may find it difficult to obtain a replacement. In our experience, replacement graphic cards for the iMac series are hard to come by and expensive. It might be less expensive to buy a later model iMac from eBay or Craig's List. A 2006 iMac is limited for memory and version of OS X it can run.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your answer. I know that a iMac from 2006 it´s limited for memory, OSx, storage, etc... but I would like to keep this at least for a little while :).

I'll take a look to the website that you give me and I know the problems and issues that I can find trying to replace a critical component in a Apple product :).

Thanks again!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.