Changing paper size in Word

Reaction score
I know this should be easy, but I'm not seeing the option. I'm running Catalina 10.15.6 and Word 16.42. I'm trying to put together a book for publishing that is 9x9. When I look to 'SIZE' under the layout tab, I do not see anything like 'more sizes' or 'custom sizes' and there is nothing with one axis longer than 8.5. My brother just sent me a file that looks like it is a 1x1 ratio, possibly 9x9, although I can't tell for sure. I checked my updates. All good. any thoughts?

thanks!
david

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try this from within Word and see if it gets the job done.

1. Go to Page Setup and choose Paper Size in the sheet that appears.
2. Choose Manage Custom Size from that list.
3. A box with the current paper dimensions will appear. Click the + symbol to create a new size. Enter your desired paper size.

You might find it helpful to give this new size a unique name so it's easy to find.

OP
P
Reaction score
Try this from within Word and see if it gets the job done.

1. Go to Page Setup and choose Paper Size in the sheet that appears.
2. Choose Manage Custom Size from that list.
3. A box with the current paper dimensions will appear. Click the + symbol to create a new size. Enter your desired paper size.

You might find it helpful to give this new size a unique name so it's easy to find.
Thanks for the comment about resizing. The word I use doesn't show a custom option. funny. My brother's and I think it's an earlier version, although it's a PC. Not sure if that should make any difference.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the comment about resizing. The word I use doesn't show a custom option. funny. My brother's and I think it's an earlier version, although it's a PC. Not sure if that should make any difference.
That might make a difference. Microsoft is famous/notorious for moving features or changing how they are implemented from time to time. Try searching for the help system in your version of Word for something like "custom paper size" or something similar.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of Office or Word are you using? As far as I can remember using Windows Office or Mac Office, that option has always been available. Is it possible you're missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Microsoft is famous/notorious for moving features or changing how they are implemented from time to time
Microsoft is not the only software company is not the only one that does that. Apple, Adobe, Quicken, and most others change things between versions.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're quite right about that. I hope my post didn't give the impression I thought Microsoft was the only one guilty of that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft is not the only software company is not the only one that does that. Apple, Adobe, Quicken, and most others change things between versions.

I'm trying to figure out why he can't change the paper size in the version of Word he's using. Like I said above, that's an option which as far as I know has been in every version of Word that I have used, both Windows and Mac.

I can go thru my versions to double check but I would need a Windows machine to do it. I still have Office versions dating back to Windows 2000. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is the problem maybe related to the printer capability? That is, if the printer doesn't support X by Y, Word won't let you create an X by Y document? I vaguely remember running into that many years ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the problem maybe related to the printer capability? That is, if the printer doesn't support X by Y, Word won't let you create an X by Y document? I vaguely remember running into that many years ago.

You're right. We might be overlooking that fact.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That never occurred to me.

krs

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable.
However the OP said there is not even the option to set up any custom sizes at all.
Even if the printer only allowed 8 1/2 x 11 paper, one should be able to set up 8 x 8 for example.
I still use Word 2011, at the very bottom of the Page Setup, there is the option of "Manage Custom Sizes"
I put in 8000mm x 8000mm and it was accepted even though it's way over the paper size the printer can handle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.