Changing Boot Camp Partion Name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
How does one change a boot Camp partion's name on the desk top? It will not let me do it any way. It is for a small vista partion that I need for thous few none Mac programs. I'm from a Linux back ground.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
clarge,

I don't believe you can change Boot Camp's name and make it work. Your best bet might be to use a VM (virtual machine) like Parallels or Fusion (there is also a free VM, you could research for it) and you could import either Vista or Linux for those non-Mac programs.

You can also use Boot Camp to install Vista directly. Just use the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide (Applications>Utilities>Boot camp Assistant.app and it's a button on cover page to print as a pdf file). Follow that and you can install Vista on the Boot Camp partition that you set up following the Guide.

Good luck, Noel

OP
clarge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I have it all installed and working great. On the Mac main screen I have an icon of a hard drive with the title of Untitled. It points to the vista partion. I just want to rename this icon to Vista to better suit what the icon represents. It just will not let me do that for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
clarge,

Sorry, misunderstood what you wanted to do. That HD on your desktop is also at the top of your Finder sidebar as Untitled. Just right click (ctl-click) on it and select Get Info. On that next dialog, down at the bottom where it says "Name and Extension," just click on it and change the name there.

Hope that works for you...

Noel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
clarge,

Sorry, misunderstood what you wanted to do. That HD on your desktop is also at the top of your Finder sidebar as Untitled. Just right click (ctl-click) on it and select Get Info. On that next dialog, down at the bottom where it says "Name and Extension," just click on it and change the name there.

Hope that works for you...

Noel

That won't work unless you have a R/W driver installed for NTFS partitions.

The alternative would be to just rename the volume within Windows. Boot up into Windows, go into "My Computer" (AKA "Computer" in Vista), click on the drive and rename it. It will now appear as whatever you've named the disk once you boot into Mac OS X.

OP
clarge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
The alternative would be to just rename the volume within Windows. Boot up into Windows, go into "My Computer" (AKA "Computer" in Vista), click on the drive and rename it. It will now appear as whatever you've named the disk once you boot into Mac OS X.

That worked great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.