Changed icon changes back to default

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post here and I have a question about changing app icons.

I really dislike the Chrome icon so I decided to change it. I will now explain how I did this:

1. click show in Finder to get to the Applications folder
2. click on the app and show information
3. open a new icon (file type .ico) in Preview
4. select the first icon/image (as there are different sizes in one .ico file) by cmd+a
5. copy icon
6. go back to the information window and click on small icon right under the 'traffic lights'
7. paste new icon there
8. close information window
9. remove Chrome from dock and put it back

This does change the icon. But then, a few days later it changes back to the old one. This has happened a few times, and so far only with Chrome. What can I do about this? Is there another way of changing the icon? Does it have to do with Chrome updating automatically?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

It appears you've changed the Chrome icon the correct way. The next time the icon changes back to the default, click on your applications folder and scroll on down to the "Google Chrome.app" and check to see what icon is showing there. And yes, Chrome is always "calling home" and checking on itself so it may in fact be changing the icon back. I don't know that for sure. I use Chrome but am happy with the default icon.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
It happened again (changes every week apparently..) and the icon in the applications folder is the regular one. Now, I tried replacing the app.icns file in the Chrome's "Resources"-folder but it just changes back to the default icon. I think the colours look really off, especially if you compare to the Google Drive icon (much nicer imo). Not very important, I know, but still: if someone knows a way around this, let me know!

Reaction score
The only way around it is to not let Chrome update. Not a good idea.
Every time it updates to a new version the icon will revert.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.