Changed Home Folder by mistake!!

Reaction score
:Grimmace:
I accidentely changed my home folder name and need to restore back to its original name, i heard of a couple ways to do it, either create a new user and copy the .dmg from the 'deleted users' folder or by using Netinfo. but i'm not sure either way how to do it

Could someone please advise?

OSX 10.4.9

Reaction score
:Grimmace:
I accidentely changed my home folder name and need to restore back to its original name, i heard of a couple ways to do it, either create a new user and copy the .dmg from the 'deleted users' folder or by using Netinfo. but i'm not sure either way how to do it

Could someone please advise?

OSX 10.4.9

Each user has his or her own home folder named using the short user name for the account. The short user name for a user cannot be changed. Do not change the name of a home folder.

If you want to use a different short user name, you must create a new user (this requires Administrator privileges). You can then move items from your previous home folder to your new home folder if you wish.

If you have accidentally changed the name of your Home folder and your desktop looks different or you cannot find your files, you need to change the name back to the original name.

To correct a home folder whose name has been changed:

Locate the User's folder on your hard disk and open it.

Select the home folder with the original short user name and the home icon. This folder usually contains a Desktop folder and a Library folder. Add "_new" to the end of the name so that you can distinguish it later.

Select the regular folder that has the name you used when you changed your original home folder. This folder should contain items you would expect to find in your original home folder, such as your Pictures folder, Documents folder, and so on. Change the name of this folder back to the original short user name.

Log out, then log in again and verify that items are back where they belong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.