CD to external hd to ipod?

N

Ninja

Is there anyway I can just rip a cd directly to my external hard drive and then put it right on my iPod without it taking 500 megs of space? Is there someway to convert the format while its on the hard drive or when its on the iPod? And will I be able to install and run programs off my external? Thanks.

OP
I

Icarus

so you don't want to put anything on the hard drive, but use it as a gateway to the ipod? Interesting...I don't know that it's possible...but there are bigger computer geeks present than I...(sorry guys!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can have iTunes import directly to external hard drive but you can't have it go straight to the iPod without using up space on the drive

Yes you can install most programs on your external hard drive...there are some out there that require to be installed on the system disk

OP
N

Ninja

Thanks I'll try it out. But there is no way to convert the format to mp3 or aac while its on the external?

Reaction score
Ninja said:
Thanks I'll try it out. But there is no way to convert the format to mp3 or aac while its on the external?

When you rip a cd in iTunes you can choose what format it saves it as:mp3, aac, aiff etc...
You should be able to then put it straight on your ipod....i think

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.